huntermncb

who builds traditional bows here?

I've thought about it, been doing some research. But have not yet attempted it. It looks like it would be fun. And the thrill of hunting with one you built would be awsome.

Doesn't really look that hard just a little expensive to get everything set up to do it. Building an oven and a bow form.

Talk with Dewey aka rabidApache, he makes and hunts with traditional bows and arrows.

DAN

also check out primitivearcher.com

I have a buddy in San Diego that makes primitive style bows. Never attempted it myself, but shoot recurves, flat bows and self bows. Maybe when I retire I'll play around with it. My wood working hobby is making swimbaits for fishing. Just finished 3 of them.

i wish I had the skill to do it. their is a youtube channel primitive pathways he does a how to on it/ tells you the type of wood ou should use and how to tune it and everything its a pretty cool video to watch

My neighbor makes his own bows. He wanted to try making a recurve so I went in halves to buy the plans and build the oven and limb form. He helped guide me in building a 3 piece takedown using Bingham plans. I tried to keep it as local as possible. Riser is ironwood, Turquoise inlay where there were natural cracks in the riser. Maple/fiberglass limbs. The snakeskin was from a rattler that I caught eating a packrat in my shop. and the limb tips are from a coues shed from the Santa Rita's. Oh, hand made the arrows also, the fletching is from my first turkey.

Drew an early archery cow tag in 5bn. Thinking of using this bow.

post-621-0-65938400-1429757119_thumb.jpg

post-621-0-26277500-1429757129_thumb.jpg

post-621-0-36530500-1429757139_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks. Took it slow as it was a big learning curve.

As cool as the ironwood looks I don't think I would use it again for the riser. What a PITA wood to work with. It ate 6 carbide rasp bits for my air grinder, causes respiratory issues as it is somewhat poisonous, and stinks when you are carving it. But if you have the stubborn patience to work it you can get it to shine like a car. Other than wax I don't have any finish on it, just sanded for hours down to 1000 grit.

Ended up 46lb draw at 28 inches.

• Like 1

The last thing for me to do to finish off the bow is find some antler buttons to replace the steel limb knobs. I think that would look cool.