Sign in to follow this  
AzPacknHorns

Rangefinders

Lookin to buy a new rangefinder, I have messed with almost all of

them and I am leaning twords the Nikon Monarch 800 does anyone have this

one. Any info on anyone of them would be greatly appriciated. ;)

I don't have the nikon but I recently purchased a bushnell elite 1500 and love it. I have been getting consistent reads on object at 1200+ yards and if I rest it on my tripod I can get reads to almost 1500 yrds off flat rock faces. I'm very pleased with it.

Swarovski (aside from the big aiming circle), then Leica 1200. I was not impresed with your dad's Leupold as the view was dark and it would not range a bale of hay at 42 yards, and the reports are that they don't range out to distances very well. Try to look up the dispersion of the laser beams for various models; when I got the Leica (before Swaro was out) it had the lowest; the lower dispersion wlii help range smaller targets on a flatter range (like antelope).

Doug~RR

i like the nikons the best.....ive had a lot of customers say they are not happy with the bushnells at all....i cant say anything cuz ive never used one....but the nikons are awesome....they do have the 1/2 yard precision which no one else has....ya its not really that big of a deal having that kind of precision but to me its a selling point....i would highly reccomend the monarch 800....i mean bushnell or nikon?...which name do you trust more...who has always had the better product?

I like the Leica, both 800 and 1200 models. Very clear, small aiming square, and are very reliable, and accurate at close and long distances. Swarovski are even clearer then the Leica and provide a better view and gather a bit more light. The problem with the Swarovski's is what Doug said, the huge circle aiming target. Until Swarovski makes a smaller aiming target I would rather have the Leica's. The Nikon's don't seem to gather as much light as the Leica and Swarovski but are still great. I like how they take quick range readings, and how they are a bit smaller in size. Bushnell's and the others I've never tried so I don't know how they compare.

I had a nikon 600 and it was no good past 200 yards. Good for bowhunting but that was it. I got rid of it and won't buy or recomend a nikon rangefinder to anyone. Maybe I just got a bad one but that is my experience.

I had a nikon 600 and it was no good past 200 yards. Good for bowhunting but that was it. I got rid of it and won't buy or recomend a nikon rangefinder to anyone. Maybe I just got a bad one but that is my experience.

you sure it wasnt a bushnell :P ....cuz thats the common complaint I here from people about the bushnells...

I carry the Nikon 400. I like the fact that it's small, accurate, & doesn't eat batteries like their free.

Down side is that it's square/smooth exterior make it somewhat difficult to handle one-handed (for me at least) and I personally find that 8x magnification is a bit too strong for the close ranges I deal with bowhunting. My next one will be a 4x model of some sort.

I have the Swarovski......to say that it is AWESOME is an understatment......it will range out to well past 1500 yards

you sure it wasnt a bushnell :P ....cuz thats the common complaint I here from people about the bushnells...

100% sure it was a nikon. maybe it was just a bad one. Ive had good luck with nikon previously and this was my only bad experience.

I've bought several different ones and I settled on the Leica 1200. I was using one with the black read out and couldn't read the yardage on a bull elk at about 40 yards because of the dark shadows. I was in heavy timber and the black numbers blended in with the back ground. I guessed at the range and made the kill. No thanks to the rangefinder. After that, I got a Leica, and it has a red L.E.D. read-out. I have loved this range finder and have used it for a few years with excellent results. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I own the Monarch 800 and I really like the fact that I can hold the button down, and scan different area's close by and get accurate readings. Alot easier then holding at different targets and then shooting for a yardage. So far so good.

I don't know which one is best, but I have the Bushnell Pro and it's alright for archery. But I'm thinking about the Swarovski 800 for when I build my rifle this summer. :P

I own the Monarch 800 and I really like the fact that I can hold the button down, and scan different area's close by and get accurate readings. Alot easier then holding at different targets and then shooting for a yardage. So far so good.

Nikon claims that the rangefinder will read out to 800 yards with the right conditions

with yours what has been a consistant long range reading? I doubt I will ever need

much more than 400 to 500 yards but I was just curious.

You may want to only shoot out to 300 or 400 yards but it is nice to know that he is 852 or 980 so you know how much closer you need to get. You can range closer ridges or points and subtract the difference. I'm looking to upgrade myself.

Lance