Sign in to follow this  
rnhunter

Nosler Accubond Long Range

I just went and weighed 8 of my old "165gr." NBTs, and 6 of the 8 were 165.0, and two were 165.1gr. Again, Nosler does not make a 160gr. NBT. So please, please check your scale calibration.

How did you zero your scale to weigh with the pan for the powder at 68.5, and with no pan for the bullet at 159.9?

Please don't think I am being negative, I just don't want to read about someone who blew their face off while shooting a rifle and it exploded. I know, worst case scenario, but better to err on the safe side.

20150521_163228_zpsflq57aym.jpg

I guess the NBTs could be a 150gr., and you could easily push them to 3200fps with a charge weight of 68.5gr. of IMR4350, which is 1.5 grains under listed starting charge weight. That would make me feel better. But it still does not clear up the 59.9gr. for the bullet with no pan.

20150521_164817_zps2qlv081r.jpg

wow , nice job guys. I think that you solved that problem. I have attached pic of my dads old scale with the powder an bullet. the powder came out to 71 grains and the bullet come out to 165 grains. so all the loading that I have been doing is all wrong. I need a good scale at a reasonable price any recommendations? still doesn't make sense the bullet was off by 5 grains and the powder was off by 2.5 grains.

thanks

post-11370-0-64989200-1432258614_thumb.jpg

post-11370-0-34000300-1432258643_thumb.jpg

post-11370-0-69563000-1432258688_thumb.jpg

post-11370-0-89291000-1432258708_thumb.jpg

Just because the numbers on the bottle are the same (4350), does not mean the powder is the same between manufacturers. IMR, Hodgdon, and Accurate all make a "4350", but they are different burn rates and max charge weights. Accurate and IMR are right next to each other on the burn rate chart @ #212 & 213, and Hodgdon is @217. But looking at the load data, you can see there is a full grain difference in max charge weight.

I am REALLY glad you figured out the scale issue. There should be a way to calibrate the Hornady electronic scale you have. I am just wondering if the old scale is accurate too. You should weigh the bullet in the pan to see if it weighs 165 grains, but I don't see that pan only weighing 5 grains. The pan on my Hornady scale weighs something like 142.5 grains. You should have a weight supplied with the scale to calibrate it. And a "zero" function on the scale too, for when the pan is empty.

This is why reloading can be dangerous, faulty equipment can be hazardous, and possibly even deadly when mistakes are made. I know of a guy who used the wrong powder in haste to get to the range, and blew up a new .338 Lapua. He accidently loaded Varget instead of H1000, and it could have cost him his life or eyesight.

Great job on posting the question, with photos so the community could help you catch a mistake.

As for scales, I always, and I mean ALWAYS, double or triple check charge weights. I weigh my electronically thrown charges on my RCBS 5-0-5 for every load. And I look in the case after putting in the powder, every time, and I can usually tell if something is off by the powder level. A quick shake of the cartridge after seating the bullet too, to listen to the round. But that doesn't work with a compressed load.

• Like 2

Glad that was settled. I was kinda concerned. You really need to take the time and watch what you and your equipment is doing. Good luck

• Like 1

Freaky don't be discouraged you asked for help and got it figured out before anything bad happened. Get back at it and find your load you won't be the first or last to have this kind of issue. You will get there and with the right gun, good loading technique, and good shooting practice you can get to 1,000 yards and a year from now you won't care things got difficult. Calibrate both scales or buy a new one and double/triple check until you have confidence in your equipment.

I hate to see people miss out on having fun and learning new skills because starting out got difficult.

• Like 2

This is a brand new scale. As you see in the photo I have a couple of beam scales that I normally use for my reloading. I wanted a digital scale so that when I trickle my powder out that I would have a more accurate and repeatable load. I Re-calibrated the scale using there weights and methods and it was off even more, I Re-calibrated and played with it for an hour. It just started drifting and never stopped. This thing is going in the trash. I think that I will go over to dillon at lunch and buy the one they have advertised in the blue press. I have used that a lot in the past and have been happy with the performance. (My dad’s Scale).

thanks

I have had a 2 different Hornady electro scale, RCBS 1010 balance, RCBS Chargemaster 1500 (I still have), GemPro 250, and a Sartorius Entris 323-1S (still have).

I can tell you the hornadys, both RCBS, and even the gempro I do not trust, not when you have a Sartorius. The Sartorius will give you a TRUE weigh but at a price point that you will not like (850.00).

I have now charged my way up that if I would have just bought the Sartorius it would have been the same price as buying all the other scales.

The laboratory type scales like the Sartorius are all very accurate because of the weigh system Magnetic Force Restoration. Most of the cheaper scales are strain gauge.

I throw my weights on the RCBS 1500 and then re-weigh on the Sartorius and can tell you the RCBS reads it correctly threw the charge but the Sartorius will read anywhere between -2.0 gn to +2.0 gn.

So if you are into reloading to PERFECTION, and to creating a PERFECT load as I am, the Sartorius is the way to go. Very well worth the money. I have watched the other cheaper scales do some crazy thing like yours did with weighing the bullets. I am not saying these cheaper scales don't work but they will get you close. Just thought I would share a little of that info with you guys!!!

• Like 1

I have a Dillon Electronic scale that I've had for years, works better using a 9 volt battery rather than the plug in the wall power adapter, very sensitive around any kind of a fan, especially ceiling fans.

Sorry Don't mean to change the subject. But does anyone have any info on the new Sierra TMK tipped match king? I have a 300wsm im loading 180 GMK with h414 64gr at 3028fps cold Bore shooting 1/2 moa at 100. With custom Leupold with the CDS turrets for that load dead on at 100 to 850yrds. I'm looking for info on the 168gr TMK hoping it will have a little less kick. Thanks and sorry again if you have any info please fill free to send me a message.

Sorry Don't mean to change the subject. But does anyone have any info on the new Sierra TMK tipped match king? I have a 300wsm im loading 180 GMK with h414 64gr at 3028fps cold Bore shooting 1/2 moa at 100. With custom Leupold with the CDS turrets for that load dead on at 100 to 850yrds. I'm looking for info on the 168gr TMK hoping it will have a little less kick. Thanks and sorry again if you have any info please fill free to send me a message.

What kind of info are you looking for? Just load info or personal experience?

What kind of info are you looking for? Just load info or personal experience?

personal experience