Sign in to follow this  
rnhunter

Nosler Accubond Long Range

I have been on the shelf for several months, real busy at work. I searched the Internet for some reviews of the Accubond Long Range and can't find anything real helpful. Anyone have any real time experience shooting these yet? I am mostly interested in .284 bullets in 7mag.

i shoot the 150's out of my .270. they shoot great and perform great on animals. nothing bad to say on my end, other than the advertised BC is probably not as high as actual BC

Try not even close. .625 advertised vs .543 Litz measured actual. The .277 150 is actually the most over estimated over any of the new long range accubonds.

• Like 1

Stomp,

Do you have any info on Mr. Litz testing the.284 Scenars". Gibb to run then this year in my 7 LRM.

I sure don't. Ive got data where he has tested just about every thing but the .284 cal Scenar. Given the fact that Lapua has recently upgraded the way they do their ballistics testing with dopler radar to determine very precise drag coefficients along the bullets trajectory I would say that their advertised numbers are very close. Doing some quick calcs with the Lapua 180gr in 7mm I come up with a drag coefficient of .963 to achieve the advertised G7 BC of .331 which is very believable.

The Formula:

180/7000 = .0257

.0257/.284 squared = .3188 (Sectional Density)

.3188/0.963 (Drag Coefficient) = .331 G7 BC

• Like 1

Going to load some 165s in my 300 win mag. I hear they are awesome for that caliber.

I have been using the accubond .284 in 168gr for the last 2 years. 6 deer (4 coues and 2 Mulies) and one bear later I am pretty happy. All those critters were a one and done out of a custom 7mm RM. 4 of the deer were shot by other hunters not me and the results were the same. The deer were from ~525 all the way in to 270 yds and the bear was a ~250yds.

I can say I get slightly better drop figures from the NLRAB than my Bergers. What does this mean? It means that using the shooter app and shooting out to 800yds there was slightly less drop shooting the Noslers. Originally the components were all the same and the MV was virtually identical as well. I did switch to Ramshot Magnum for this years hunts it was the easiest switch I have ever made similar powder charges and the ball powder is a Godsend to work with.

my $0.02

• Like 1

Ramshot is a new powder isn't it? I read good things about it but where do you get it?

Ramshot is not a new powder. I played with it 10 years ago in college. In fact I think I have 3/4 hunter in my reloading room if I recall correctly.

Going to load some 165s in my 300 win mag. I hear they are awesome for that caliber.

With a 300 win mag step up to the 190 or 210 grain LRAB to take full advantage of the cartridge.

With a 300 win mag step up to the 190 or 210 grain LRAB to take full advantage of the cartridge.

I wish I could go with a bigger grain but I can't. I have an A-Bolt Browning in 300 wm and the detachable magazine FROM the factory is so short I can't load a longer bullet. It either won't fit into it or its so tight it will flatten the nose of bullet when shooting. Don't have any idea what the he ll Browning was thinking when the designed this. I tried to adjust bullet depth when I first got it so the round was closer to the lands trying to get better accuracy and that's when I discovered the problem. I have loaded 180's but I have to watch how far I seat them.

I have been using the accubond .284 in 168gr for the last 2 years. 6 deer (4 coues and 2 Mulies) and one bear later I am pretty happy. All those critters were a one and done out of a custom 7mm RM. 4 of the deer were shot by other hunters not me and the results were the same. The deer were from ~525 all the way in to 270 yds and the bear was a ~250yds.

I can say I get slightly better drop figures from the NLRAB than my Bergers. What does this mean? It means that using the shooter app and shooting out to 800yds there was slightly less drop shooting the Noslers. Originally the components were all the same and the MV was virtually identical as well. I did switch to Ramshot Magnum for this years hunts it was the easiest switch I have ever made similar powder charges and the ball powder is a Godsend to work with.

my $0.02

This makes sense. Litz tested G1 BC for the 168 LRAB is .624 while the Berger G1 BC is .617. At 800 yards with all things being equal there should be about an inch difference between the two in drop.