Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

Sendero 7mm re-barrel

I'm considering re-barreling my Sendero due to accuracy issues. I still have a few more loads to try. I'm really hoping one of them will work. If they don't I'm planning on having it re-barreled.

If I decide to re-barrel I'm going to stay with 7mm. What barrel would you go with? Would you have it fluted? What twist would you use? I'm not worried about the weight. I'm really considering a Brux, with fluting. I only want the fluting to help the barrel cool and for looks!

I've been told by some high end gun smith's that fluting causes accuracy issues and barrel twisting. Have any of you had any issues with this? Any statistics to confirm this?

Thanks,

Adam

Mine is shooting awesome with 168 grain berger vlds, 64.5 gr imr 7828. If that helps.

I will add that to the list of loads to try. Thanks!

I would stick with more load development before I would re barrel. It's a slippery slope once you change the barrel you'll want to change everything.

Adam, I was with 5guys this weekend and his load is spot on. 100yrds to 600 it's hitting great. Now as far as my old eyes are I suck with my rifle and a 3x9 scope. Maybe time for lasic. :wacko:

I like Bartlein barrels. But....I recently won a Rock Creek barrel, so I ordered a .308" 5R Remington Sendero contour at 29" with helical fluting. I can't wait for it to arrive.

I think any of the well known barrel makers are producing quality, accurate barrels nowadays. Bartlein, Brux, Rock Creek, Kreiger, are all excellent choices.

I have heard that fluting can "pinch" the bore if done incorrectly. It also depends on contour and bore size. I would not flute a #3 sporter in a .308" cartridge. But with a heavier contour, I don't think it is a huge issue. There are plenty of extremely accurate fluted barrel rifles.

• Like 2