CEI

Archery Elk Chest Shot by Kid. Ethical?

Under the right circumstances I'm a big fan of the full frontal shots but I wouldn't consider this shot being a frontal instead it looks like a quartering to you shot. When it comes to elk a quartering to you shot seems like a pretty risky shot imo. After re-watching the video a couple times over it looks as if he hit too high and to the right to hit any major organs. I can't imagine the kid was trying to hit the bull where he did but for all I know maybe he did.

When it comes to archery elk all I ever heard was to only to take quartering away or broadside shots so anytime I see otherwise my natural reaction is to cringe. I use to feel this way about the head on shot as well but after seeing first hand how effective it was on multiple occasions I changed my mind. Who knows maybe one day I'll change my mind about the shot in this video but for now I'm not convinced this a shot that hunters should be considering.

As far as the questions on ethics without knowing what the kid was thinking at the time of making this shot one can't properly determine whether or not on this shot is ethical. The shot was definitely effective no doubt about that but just because a shot is effective does that mean it's ethical? I hear a lot of guys falsely state that "legal=ethical" if this logic were true than yes this shot would be ethical but in reality this logic is flawed and shouldn't be the basis on how one determines ethics. Ethics are far too complicated to be determined by laws. An action that is ethical for one hunter may not be ethical for another. The way I see it the only person who can truly determine if this was an ethical shot is the kid who took the shot.

• Like 1

I was faced with a similar situation last year... I was under the belief / teaching frontal shots should be avoided, but after a long stare down, I took the shot. He was dead on his feet within 40 yards, blood everywhere, I watch him drop, the shot was devastating.

Elk can whirl around and be gone in a flash once the wind swirls, all things considered, I would take a front shot anytime.

post-295-0-48194300-1437437008_thumb.jpg

Im no expert on animal anatomy, but my understanding of it is that there's a pretty big hole right at the front end of an elks rib cage where the throat passes into the animal. I would think if the elk was facing you with his head up youd actually have an open shot right into his chest cavity. Head down, very different story: then youd have to unicorn him.;)

More ethical then road hunters shooting from a truck. My opinion

• Like 3

Only full frontal shots I'm a fan of are during Spring Break at Havasu.

I say wait for a broadside or quartering shot, especially with archery tackle.