codyhuntsaz

Wild Boar Hunting in AZ

I have heard of there being some sort of wild boars up around Kingman and also around San Manuel and Clints Well. anyone heard of these pigs? i thik everyoe knows a guy who knows a guy who used to work with a guy, but has anyone actually seen any of these ghost pigs?

Not to rehash all of what was in that other thread, I have chased them in the Jack's Canyon/ Chavez Pass area but that was in the early 90s.

Feral hogs are unregulated and do not require a hunting license at all- just like jack-asses on non-federal land. They can be gunned down with miniguns if you so desire. It's like shooting a cow on your farm for beef- no law says what you can use to shoot them.

According to G&F they're a non-game animal, but a hunting license is still required for hunting any animal on public land. You don't need a tag, however, just a license.

According to G&F they're a non-game animal, but a hunting license is still required for hunting any animal on public land. You don't need a tag, however, just a license.

Bullsht- they are FERAL- they are not non-game. It is no different than shoot a cow in your pasture. Do you have to have a license for this?? Not only no license- but NONE of the laws apply. You can use weapons that would otherwise be illegal.

I have been down this road before with G&F.

Bullsht- they are FERAL- they are not non-game. It is no different than shoot a cow in your pasture. Do you have to have a license for this?? Not only no license- but NONE of the laws apply. You can use weapons that would otherwise be illegal.

I have been down this road before with G&F.

All I can tell you is what I was told when I called & asked. Since I buy a license every year, it's a bit of a mute point to me. I just wanted to make sure it was legal to shoot 'em, and it is. The hard part is finding them.

They have some real ignorant folks working there that frequently give their opinions whether right or wrong. They won't tell you that you can hunt wild horses and donkeys either- you won't find a word about them in the regulations.

The wild horse and free roaming burro protection act only applies on specific FEDERAL lands- BIA, DOA and BLM. If you encounter them on State trust land or private property they are not protected and are considered Feral.

You are right about the hogs being hard to find however.

I talked to a friend on Friday night that twice saw them while fishing at Blue Ridge Reservoir- but it was a number of years ago.

The wild horse and free roaming burro protection act only applies on specific FEDERAL lands- BIA, DOA and BLM. If you encounter them on State trust land or private property they are not protected and are considered Feral.

http://www.wildhorsepreservation.com/resources/1971_act.html

Will need to start digging that BBQ pit in the backyard. Might need to start researching where to have a habitat improvement project and test the Nosler E-tip when it comes out ;)

Doug~RR

Oh----

Don't tempt me Doug!

I have actually done a fair amount of horse control work and did considerable testing with the first generation Barnes X- They worked quite well for an animal that size. I can say without reservation that a 22-250 makes a very poor long range horse round!!!

Ok guys, here's the real deal. I just hunted down in S.E. Az. with a company called Tnt Adventures that has true Russian Boar! I saw some photos in Sptsmns. Whse. in Tucson and contacted them. I and a buddy, just did a week end hunt and took a 310 lb. Euro-boar with 2" cutters. He was really PO'd because we scared off his herd of sows and was only 8 yds. away in full charge. My 270 wsm/150 gr. soft point, hit him just below the eye line, dead square in the nose and he dropped like lead weight. The range mgrs., who were backing me, were just about to open up with their 12 ga.s when I fired. Talk about excitement!!! I couldn't stand still for a good 15 min. after.

They have 2 ranches (we're scheduled to hunt the one on the NM. border in March) and their rates are good. And it sure beats driving all the way to Tex. or Calif! Their hunts are Free Chase so none of this crap like we experienced with the EZ ranch in Northern Az.

My buddy got a shot at a mtn. lion while there but missed.

You can look them up on the internet. That's how we found them.

They have some real ignorant folks working there that frequently give their opinions whether right or wrong. They won't tell you that you can hunt wild horses and donkeys either- you won't find a word about them in the regulations.

You are right about the hogs being hard to find however.

I talked to a friend on Friday night that twice saw them while fishing at Blue Ridge Reservoir- but it was a number of years ago.

Catclaw, I just read your response and I too, have done a lot of checking and was told several different things by their so-called "experts". When I finally got to a supervisor I found that you don't need a license nor tag for wild boar. Then I hunted in S.E. Az. with Tnt Adventures on one of their ranches and they too, know what's up. Anyway, they got BIG boars.