azhamill

My 2015 archery coues takin at 110yrds

Art Young and Saxton Pope the father's of modern day archery regulary shot at 100 yards plus with what we consider a very primitive weapon longbows!

Many times they missed the first shot but that gave them the right range and usally they nailed the 2nd shot!

Now days alot of people think what's right for them is right for all.

You can't please all the people all the time but a little wisdom goes along ways!

If you know what I mean! ☺

Great shot and a great buck Robin Hood!

• Like 2

Guest akaspecials

Since I was one that critiqued your shot earlier, let me shed some light on where a lot of us "naysayers" are coming from. First, at 100 yards, it takes so long for the arrow to get there that a perfect shot could end up being an arrow in the butt with one step of the animal. Animals aren't stationary and it is impossible to predict whether they will move or not. (I know a few long range guys that only shoot bedded bucks at that range to eliminate that variable). Second, you said the buck was quartering towards you. Knowing basic anatomy, this is almost always a bad shot. Coues deer do have less dense bones and thin skin, but with all that bone in the way, it's not uncommon for an arrow to not have the energy to properly penetrate at that distance. I could continue with reasons, but basically, even if you are an Olympic shooter, there are too many variables out of your control to ethically shoot game at those distances and that angle. As I said before, congrats on the buck. It's a nice animal and I would proudly hang him on my wall, but there are darn good reasons that people are frying you for how you shot him.

Guest 300ultramag.

I have created a model for anyone that has questions about ethics and archery.

>---> -----------------X 10 yds okay to post

Safe Zone Indicated In Green

>--->---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------x 100yds refrain

^ ^

5yds 70yds (Negative Comment Zone) (hashtag) Can O' Worms

In all seriousness the only concern w/ long range shots and archery is that others will try to duplicate this shot without hesitation because the guy on the internet did it. The farther the shot the lower the success rate no one can argue physics. If your going to try it I would suggest get better at closing the gap its far easier to sneak in on em than pinwheeling a moving target at 100+yds.

• Like 3

Guest 300ultramag.

I agree with keeping distances amongst your group. you dont ever tell the right unit so keep them triple digit shots tight to the vest.

Finally got some time to read this thread to the end. Got a day off work and will start a new thread in the campfire later today. I invite all of you to join in and comment.

Nice Buck anyway you look at it ... As far as distances I give props to any out there that spend the time and dedication and have the confidence to take a long range shot be it with a Bow or Rifle. That being said I do think things like distance are best kept among your group of friends .. Once it goes out on the Net not only does it look a little like bragging but it encourages some that will end up not having the same type of success.

I am always more envious of those stories where the hunter got close than took a long range shot ... getting within 20 yards of Rutting Buck with does and getting a kill shot IMO is a far greater accomplishment than defeating the odds of what could go wrong taking a 100 yard shot ... same goes for those 1000 yard shooters that have slung lead over my head while I tried to close the distance on a Buck.

why is it a "far greater accomplishment?" sometimes you can sneak in to 40 sometimes you gotta shoot them at 80. its not enough to kill a trophy buck now, so next you have to do it with a sling shot for it to count as a great accomplishment to some people. sheesh. defeat the odds of what could go wrong? a lot more things could go wrong inside 50 then at 100.

• Like 1

why is it a "far greater accomplishment?" sometimes you can sneak in to 40 sometimes you gotta shoot them at 80. its not enough to kill a trophy buck now, so next you have to do it with a sling shot for it to count as a great accomplishment to some people. sheesh. defeat the odds of what could go wrong? a lot more things could go wrong inside 50 then at 100.

Confucius say....those that can't sneak....shoot with big stick.
  • Like 1

why is it a "far greater accomplishment?" sometimes you can sneak in to 40 sometimes you gotta shoot them at 80. its not enough to kill a trophy buck now, so next you have to do it with a sling shot for it to count as a great accomplishment to some people. sheesh. defeat the odds of what could go wrong? a lot more things could go wrong inside 50 then at 100

I said that is my personal opinion ... so what the heck does it matter to you the why I feel that way. You are right about one thing a lot more can go wrong trying to close the distance to under 30 yards ... things that for most ethical hunters would keep then from even letting the arrow fly ... I have on 2 occasions seen game( Elk and Mule Deer) injured and flee by hunters that took over 80 yard shots that were not even paying enough attention to see that in both cases there was another hunter one in a stand and one in a blind that where waiting for the animal to give them a better shot while being half the distance or more closer. On 2 almost 3 occasions I have had 1000 yard rifle shooters sling lead over my head taking several shots each blowing up the hill side, on one of them a buck was hit , unfortunately for the guy slinging lead a wounded buck that was never found became his campfire story for the remainder of the hunt. I doubt he even talks about to those who were not there. I am allowed my opinion ... I have no issue with the OP making his choice and taking a heck of a nice buck... IMO when people start throwing out long range distances in a public forum it is to try and achieve an atta boy , but not everyone is going to agree. I can tell you one thing ... None of these guys are going to post on a Hunting forum the times they let an arrow fly at long range only to find the shot not be true and being unable to retrieve a wounded animal.

• Like 1

110 is the farthest I've ever shot at a animal lucky me I killed it . I post that because everyone asks anyways and wants to now unit exactly where it died. I wasn't bragging about range. I've killed way more deer a heck of a lot closer . That was my latest harvest so I showed it. I started hunting with a father that wouldn't even take a shot with a rifle over 200yrds so trust me I've learned how to get very close over my hunting years. Just the past few years I've been really getting into long range archery. But you better Believe I'll take a close shot over a far one any day of the week

• Like 3