azhamill

My 2015 archery coues takin at 110yrds

110 is the farthest I've ever shot at a animal lucky me I killed it . I post that because everyone asks anyways and wants to now unit exactly where it died. I wasn't bragging about range. I've killed way more deer a heck of a lot closer . That was my latest harvest so I showed it. I started hunting with a father that wouldn't even take a shot with a rifle over 200yrds so trust me I've learned how to get very close over my hunting years. Just the past few years I've been really getting into long range archery. But you better Believe I'll take a close shot over a far one any day of the week

Well put....I take back everything everyone has been jumping about. :D

• Like 1

Since I was one that critiqued your shot earlier, let me shed some light on where a lot of us "naysayers" are coming from. First, at 100 yards, it takes so long for the arrow to get there that a perfect shot could end up being an arrow in the butt with one step of the animal. Animals aren't stationary and it is impossible to predict whether they will move or not. (I know a few long range guys that only shoot bedded bucks at that range to eliminate that variable). Second, you said the buck was quartering towards you. Knowing basic anatomy, this is almost always a bad shot. Coues deer do have less dense bones and thin skin, but with all that bone in the way, it's not uncommon for an arrow to not have the energy to properly penetrate at that distance. I could continue with reasons, but basically, even if you are an Olympic shooter, there are too many variables out of your control to ethically shoot game at those distances and that angle. As I said before, congrats on the buck. It's a nice animal and I would proudly hang him on my wall, but there are darn good reasons that people are frying you for how you shot him.

You raise some valid points, but theres a counter arguement that people often dont bring up: that is the difference between flight range and stop and stare range for a deer. Ive only shoot five deer with my bow, 3 at under 35 (close range) and two at 50+. I also have cleanly missed 2 deer at 50+ and im not fessying up to how many ive punched arrows over at close range. Anyhow, every single animal ive ever shot at in the 50+ range just stood there staring at me and watching that arrow come with a bewildered look on their faces. At least half the animals ive shot at close range have string jumped or flinched, bolted, whatever you want to call it. I think once you get past the 40-50 yard range youre far enough away that they dont feel immediately threatened and will wait to see what happens.

My second deer was take. With an 80 yard shot. He stood there and watched me take off my back pack, nock an arrow, range him, draw aim and shoot. Never moved until the arrow hit him.

Thats just my limited experience though.

• Like 2

Guest akaspecials

Since I was one that critiqued your shot earlier, let me shed some light on where a lot of us "naysayers" are coming from. First, at 100 yards, it takes so long for the arrow to get there that a perfect shot could end up being an arrow in the butt with one step of the animal. Animals aren't stationary and it is impossible to predict whether they will move or not. (I know a few long range guys that only shoot bedded bucks at that range to eliminate that variable). Second, you said the buck was quartering towards you. Knowing basic anatomy, this is almost always a bad shot. Coues deer do have less dense bones and thin skin, but with all that bone in the way, it's not uncommon for an arrow to not have the energy to properly penetrate at that distance. I could continue with reasons, but basically, even if you are an Olympic shooter, there are too many variables out of your control to ethically shoot game at those distances and that angle. As I said before, congrats on the buck. It's a nice animal and I would proudly hang him on my wall, but there are darn good reasons that people are frying you for how you shot him.

You raise some valid points, but theres a counter arguement that people often dont bring up: that is the difference between flight range and stop and stare range for a deer. Ive only shoot five deer with my bow, 3 at under 35 (close range) and two at 50+. I also have cleanly missed 2 deer at 50+ and im not fessying up to how many ive punched arrows over at close range. Anyhow, every single animal ive ever shot at in the 50+ range just stood there staring at me and watching that arrow come with a bewildered look on their faces. At least half the animals ive shot at close range have string jumped or flinched, bolted, whatever you want to call it. I think once you get past the 40-50 yard range youre far enough away that they dont feel immediately threatened and will wait to see what happens.

My second deer was take. With an 80 yard shot. He stood there and watched me take off my back pack, nock an arrow, range him, draw aim and shoot. Never moved until the arrow hit him.

You do bring up a very valid point. I've watched God only knows how many southern whitetails jump the string at ten yards. I think the best way to mitigate it is to only shoot when their head is down or looking the other way. Most deer that jump the string at close range (in my experience and watching videos) are aware that the hunter is there.

(I'll openly admit that I broke this rule last fall though shooting a moose. I figured moose are dumb and a lot less "spooky" than whitetails so I took a ten yard broadside shot as the moose stared right at me. He didn't jump, the animal actually let me put two more arrows in him, and I've been eating moose since then. As has been stated before, a lot of it comes down to decision making by the hunter at the time.)

AKASPECIALS. I really don't like you now. You have been eating moose and none of us got an invite for dinner!! :angry: That's just wrong. :P

Fling away that's why we get to find dead heads lol as long as shooting a rage don't matter where you hit them will recover money back guarantee. No but seriously it all comes down to knowing your equipment. I fall shy off the "100" club by a yard

Over the years I have seen this exact same pattern with deer.

Hey Hamilina! Awesome buck! Takes guts and some serious skills at that range! Personally I've seen this guy in action and he's a dang ninja in the desert! Keep it up.

i say if your confident in your shooting then go for it...I watch my 14 yr old son the other day go from 30-90 yds on first shot of each nail a 3 inch target first shot...He shoots dang near everyday and is confident to say the least. 100 yds he can do with no problem. Anyone who knows myson knows hes an archery guru. Myself, I suck at shooting a bow and missed a 382 bull at 15 yds cause I suck. The bull was killed next day so i know the size and it wasnt by me.

I would not even hesitate if condition was right to have my 14 yr old shoot 100 at a bull.

Congrats on a nice buck. Im sure all of us have been between 50-100 yds and tried to get closer and blow it a million times. So if you can fling 100 confident, then do it I say

• Like 2

Guest 300ultramag.

you guys seriously don't practice at 100 yards? I can never leave usery without shooting a couple rounds at the 100

you go to usery? I dont sees you there ever..

• Like 1

I was there Monday for like 2 hours mate. usually im the short guy who looks like he should be smoking a bong and taking steroids. holler at a player if you see me.

• Like 2

azhamill- I suggest you read a previous thread in the campfire section created by me. 2 rules you must know: 1 if you aren't a "premier" member, your opinions don't matter. 2, if you are under the age of 40 you are an immature youngin' who needs to listen to his elders and be more respectful! Now I can only shoot to about 70 yards when I practice a ton,....... but that's why my name is what it is. I FLING ARROWS BRO! btw nice shot and buck

• Like 1

azhamill- I suggest you read a previous thread in the campfire section created by me. 2 rules you must know: 1 if you aren't a "premier" member, your opinions don't matter. 2, if you are under the age of 40 you are an immature youngin' who needs to listen to his elders and be more respectful! Now I can only shoot to about 70 yards when I practice a ton,....... but that's why my name is what it is. I FLING ARROWS BRO! btw nice shot and buck

hey thanks for the info. Yeah I'm over all that if I see thread about stuff like that or one that goes south I just get out of it.