Sign in to follow this  
Swivelhead

Long Range Archery

I shoot a Diamond COT with 100 PJP @ 300FPS with a DD rest. It hits 3ih with a DRP release and has a TMI. But I'll be an SOB if I try to kill anything @100

wheeeww. that was a mouthfull

As far as foc I'm at an acceptable level of 10/11%. High foc is nice in helping to correct arrow flight if the bow isn't tuned properly but I've never had that issue. I'm at 460gr shooting 285fps at 82.8 lbs of ke and .58 momentum. For the sight I range my target then turn the adjustment knob on my sight till my indicator pin hits the exact yardage mark then draw back and shoot. Seems to work so far. Pic is 80 yards at Paseo.

Shuttle T locks are not expandables correct? Also, how long does it take to range, then adjust sight?

Shuttle T Locks are fixed blades and I'm usually just as fast as anyone ranging then counting pins, plus I don't have to gap shoot, my pin is set at an exact yardage.

Anybody use a sight with a magnifying lens? Does a peep clarifier help the long range game? It seems the single pin sight is not as popular as I thought.

Guest akaspecials

I also prefer multi pin sights. I don't like having to adjust for yardage and it's easy enough to shoot between pins.

I think practice is the biggest thing though. Understanding what wind does to your arrow, what slope does, and practicing good form so its second nature at show time.

I have not gone to a magnifying glass cause I'm worried all I'll see is hair for close shots. Anyone have any experience?

I also view long range as a fun way to practice so my closer shots at animals are chip shots. Once I get some money I'll probably buy a target bow set up to shoot out to 150 yards, and then have my hunting rig setup to shoot 50 yards or less. (I can also really dial back poundage on my hunting rig so I can stay in full draw longer. Shooting long distance I have my poundage cranked up so I shoot faster and have less margin of error.)

Guest akaspecials

Anybody got ballistic software readily available?

It's called practice. :-) every rig is different. heck, my bow shoots differently with and without a bow mounted quiver.

Let me set everybody straight on something right now: this rumor about 'new' equipment making long shots easier/ more ethical/more common is crap. It is nothing but marketing propoganda from modern bow manufacturers. Thats not an opinion, its a fact. Heres the supporting facts:

Ive been shooting compound bows for 23 years now. More than 15 years ago I built myself a shooting machine for tuning ny bows, and my pse dominators and my pse polaris (cheapest bow in their lineup back then) would skewer quarter size targets and split arrows over and over a again at 20 yards 15 years ago. The first arrow I split was with a woodriser compound bow that was already old when I bought it from a pawn shop for $150. Any bow that shoots that well is more than capable of hitting a deer lung size target at 100. The limiting factor is and has been the shooter.

There are only two things necessary for making a 100yard shot. A steady aim and (drum roll please) ...... KNOWN YARDAGE! Anybody whos a decent shot, has a calm day and knows the exact yardage can kill a deer or paper or anything else at these ranges, even with a bow thats 20 years old. Laser range finders made these shots more common, not faster bows. When I was in high school and the first p.o.s. bushnell laser ranger hit the market, the success rate for antelope in my home unit of 19b tripled. All of a sudden everyone was killing one, many of which were taken at over 70 yards. Know what the net result was? It suddenly got a lot harder to draw a goat tag.

Newer bows are a bit faster, but I knew plenty of guys shooting the 300+ fps rigs with overdraws way back when in the 90s. And there was also plenty of people griping over the ethics of it back then too, but there was no interweb forums to exasperate the whine fest.

• Like 4

I would rather see a guy who practices too much and shoots too far than a guy who buys a bow two weeks before his archery elk hunt. I practice out to a hundred yards or so, but with a twist. I turn my target sideways and put rocks on each side of it. It helps with my focus.

• Like 1

Can somebody calculate a ballistic chart out to 120 yards with a 100 yard zero? Use a 300 fps arrow weighing 450 grains, give it a ballistic coefficient of .250 (generous), 4.5" below line of sight. It would also be nice to know the time in flight. It'd be especially cool if the table could be uploaded to this thread.

I would rather see a guy who practices too much and shoots too far than a guy who buys a bow two weeks before his archery elk hunt. I practice out to a hundred yards or so, but with a twist. I turn my target sideways and put rocks on each side of it. It helps with my focus.

I don't see anybody championing "no practice" on any of these threads.

Guest akaspecials

I actually know a few guys (one posts very nice coues deer online every year) and they shoot twice a year; once to make sure the bow is sighted in and once when they kill their deer. They hunts tree stands or blinds and keep all shots under 20 yards so they don't have to practice. Hope that doesn't start off even more controversy. Lol.

I agree with idgaf though. It's scary and sad watching some guys shoot at the range and expecting to go hunting in a week or two when they can't hit a pie plate at 30 yards! My only solace is most can't even find deer to fling arrows at...

I actually know a few guys (one posts very nice coues deer online every year) and they shoot twice a year; once to make sure the bow is sighted in and once when they kill their deer. They hunts tree stands or blinds and keep all shots under 20 yards so they don't have to practice. Hope that doesn't start off even more controversy. Lol.

I agree with idgaf though. It's scary and sad watching some guys shoot at the range and expecting to go hunting in a week or two when they can't hit a pie plate at 30 yards! My only solace is most can't even find deer to fling arrows at...

No one would champion no practice in a perfect world. In reality go to any pro shop and ask how many bows they sell the week before season. I will put the over/under on "wounded bull" threads at ten. Whether they mention it or not, Two of the factors being distance and practice

I was scouting for elk for an early rifle hunt in 4a a few years ago when an archery hunter camped down from me came to my camp the day before his hunt ends and asks if I could help him as he arrowed a nice elk and couldn't get him out. Being the ETHICAL person I am I say sure. At his camp was a 3/4 ton truck 2 wheel drive with a huge overhead camper and a little trailer about 4x6 to haul his Honda 90 that he hunted from. I follow him to where the elk is (a pretty rough road) and it's right on a tank where I had been scouting and set a ground blind. <_< The elk was there and a nice 6x6 with a arrow wound about 2"- 4" down from his back and 1 1/2 feet forward of his hind end. He had hit it high in back and cut an artery with a terrible shot and got lucky it bled out quick. The bull didn't go 50 yrds. After talking a minute I find out that the day before he had arrowed a 7x6 and made another bad shot. I ask if he tracked it and found it and he said no as there was very little blood. He then says, and I quote, "While I was tracking it I saw another big 6 point and just missed it." I am in shock now. All this idiot was doing was flinging arrows at anything with horns. I really wanted to just walk away (after I had buried him) but the elk would have been lost so I winched the elk in my truck and got it out for him. This is not an isolated thing. This happens EVERY year. From where he was standing it was about a 75 yard shot. The point I am making is, This a$$hole got lucky and killed an elk, maybe 2, and would go out again and do the same thing. Did he practice a lot? Don't know. Was he shooting good equipment? Yes. Are there hundreds of em' like him hunting archery every year? Yes. Can anything be done about it? No. The shooters are the problem. The animal is the one that suffers along with the rest of the good, ethical hunters.

• Like 2

I was scouting for elk for an early rifle hunt in 4a a few years ago when an archery hunter camped down from me came to my camp the day before his hunt ends and asks if I could help him as he arrowed a nice elk and couldn't get him out. Being the ETHICAL person I am I say sure. At his camp was a 3/4 ton truck 2 wheel drive with a huge overhead camper and a little trailer about 4x6 to haul his Honda 90 that he hunted from. I follow him to where the elk is (a pretty rough road) and it's right on a tank where I had been scouting and set a ground blind. <_< The elk was there and a nice 6x6 with a arrow wound about 2"- 4" down from his back and 1 1/2 feet forward of his hind end. He had hit it high in back and cut an artery with a terrible shot and got lucky it bled out quick. The bull didn't go 50 yrds. After talking a minute I find out that the day before he had arrowed a 7x6 and made another bad shot. I ask if he tracked it and found it and he said no as there was very little blood. He then says, and I quote, "While I was tracking it I saw another big 6 point and just missed it." I am in shock now. All this idiot was doing was flinging arrows at anything with horns. I really wanted to just walk away (after I had buried him) but the elk would have been lost so I winched the elk in my truck and got it out for him. This is not an isolated thing. This happens EVERY year. From where he was standing it was about a 75 yard shot. The point I am making is, This a$$hole got lucky and killed an elk, maybe 2, and would go out again and do the same thing. Did he practice a lot? Don't know. Was he shooting good equipment? Yes. Are there hundreds of em' like him hunting archery every year? Yes. Can anything be done about it? No. The shooters are the problem. The animal is the one that suffers along with the rest of the good, ethical hunters.

I thought being a good ethical bow hunter was not taking 100 yard shots? I know chasing coues and desert muleys the avereage shot is is 60 yards..