Sign in to follow this  
Swivelhead

Long Range Archery

The laser rangefinder... How many here had a TLR75? How many missed several oppurtunities because of it?

I disagree on the "speed bow" for long distance unless you are a machine. If you are... great. A short brace height(anything under 7") magnifies every mistake you make. A short axle to axle will do the same. Put them together and a recipe for inconsistency.Unless you are a machine as stated prior. Being able to make the shot and being smart enough not to take the shot(in bad conditions) is key.

• Like 1

The laser rangefinder... How many here had a TLR75? How many missed several oppurtunities because of it?

I disagree on the "speed bow" for long distance unless you are a machine. If you are... great. A short brace height(anything under 7") magnifies every mistake you make. A short axle to axle will do the same. Put them together and a recipe for inconsistency.Unless you are a machine as stated prior. Being able to make the shot and being smart enough not to take the shot(in bad conditions) is key.

I agree about 90%. Depends on a persons draw length. Some stubby guy shooting 26" can pretty much shoot whatever they want. Someone with longer monkey arms (like me) usually does a little better w/ a longer ata & brace height. String stoppers however have made the shorter brace height bows a lot more shootable.

Less painful on the forearm when form is bad for sure. The closer the string is to the riser the more poor form is magnified. I bought a 350 fps bow last year and just couldn't keep consistent. Went back to 7" old faithful and tightened up my groups. Kudos to those who can, but most can't even though they think they can and continue to chase the fps chart.

Less painful on the forearm when form is bad for sure. The closer the string is to the riser the more poor form is magnified. I bought a 350 fps bow last year and just couldn't keep consistent. Went back to 7" old faithful and tightened up my groups. Kudos to those who can, but most can't even though they think they can and continue to chase the fps chart.

Same boat. Bought a brand new fancy hoyt a couple years ago, just couldnt make myself like it and didnt shoot well with it. Sold her off after about 3 months and went back to my old black ice. Have never regretted getting rid of that thing for even a second. Definetely regret dropping the cash on it to begin with though.

Some could argue against you and say that the longer brace height means the arrow doesn't clear the bow as fast as the shorter brace height. Meaning there could actually be less acuracy because we are human and the longer that arrow is on the string the more time there is for you to move etc. ???? Just asking as this seems to be a fact orientated thread on what it takes to shoot well.

Wow you guys really do feel hurt about this whole thing.

It's not a matter of feeling hurt. It's about what is an ethical shot without wounding and losing an animal because you watched a video or saw a friend get an animal with an amazing long shot. I think we owe it to the game to make a clean, quick kill without ANY chance of wounding or losing it. Will it happen from time to time? Yes it will, but I still feel we have a right as hunters to make the best call we can before slinging an arrow or taking a shot with a rifle and trying to be 99.9% confident with the equipment and yourself.

Should change the title to this thread to "What's more ethical, 100 archery shot or 1000 yard rifle shot?", lol!

• Like 1

Should change the title to this thread to "What's more ethical, 100 archery shot or 1000 yard rifle shot?", lol!

Thatd be an interesting conversation.

Its only ethical if you make an ethical shot, it really doesn't matter how far you're shooting or how close you've closed the distance, a sh!tty shot is a sh!tty shot. I think more than anything it comes down to keeping a cool head an going through the routine. If you practice enough it you can make the routine things routine but if you dust your bow or gun off an head to the hills there is nothing routine about it an that's when it all becomes unethical is not knowing what you're equipment will do.

• Like 2

Some could argue against you and say that the longer brace height means the arrow doesn't clear the bow as fast as the shorter brace height. Meaning there could actually be less acuracy because we are human and the longer that arrow is on the string the more time there is for you to move etc. ???? Just asking as this seems to be a fact orientated thread on what it takes to shoot well.

Don't have a real answer other than all 3-D pros shoot long atas 34" and longer.

• Like 1

Actually, I was hoping to get this thread headed in this direction. I will ask again: Anybody got ballistic software readily available?

BTW, I think 1000 yards is too far with a rifle but believe 500-700 is very doable for a well prepared shooter (assuming the wind cooperates).

• Like 1

Wow you guys really do feel hurt about this whole thing.

It's not a matter of feeling hurt. It's about what is an ethical shot without wounding and losing an animal because you watched a video or saw a friend get an animal with an amazing long shot. I think we owe it to the game to make a clean, quick kill without ANY chance of wounding or losing it. Will it happen from time to time? Yes it will, but I still feel we have a right as hunters to make the best call we can before slinging an arrow or taking a shot with a rifle and trying to be 99.9% confident with the equipment and yourself.

Nothing is garaunteed! I've seen

buddies completely miss at less then 15 yards, and they practice all the time. Sometimes you just get excited or make a bad decision and that can be done at any distance.

Nothing is garaunteed! I've seen
 buddies completely miss at less then 15 yards, and they practice all the time. Sometimes you just get excited or make a bad decision and that can be done at any distance. 

Could not agree more

• Like 1