naturebob

Rifle scope ?

Just ordered a Sightron SIII. 6-24x50 SFP.

$725

Is this your first Sightron? If so let me know what you think once you've used it.

$725

Where did you order from?

Brian

I had one 30-06 all my life with a leoupold. vx2 at long range did alot of guessing. I figured one more gun for the rest of my life at 58. I had allways been into hunting but not into guns or shooting. My rifle is a Tikka synthetic stock 300 win mag with the above mentioned Vortex Viper. I generally kept shots under 375 yards. With this new gun and scope I want to be able to reach out 500-600 yards for My Elk hunt if needed. Hopefully won't have to shoot that far on an early Bull hunt. But if You seen a pig across a canyon You couldn't get to ,I wanna be able to kill from there. Next question is what bullet for this gun and elk hunt would You guys use. I wanna start shooting and not wait to late. I do have a harris bi-pod. Thanks for all the help Guys...........BOB!

• Like 1

I had one 30-06 all my life with a leoupold. vx2 at long range did alot of guessing. I figured one more gun for the rest of my life at 58. I had allways been into hunting but not into guns or shooting. My rifle is a Tikka synthetic stock 300 win mag with the above mentioned Vortex Viper. I generally kept shots under 375 yards. With this new gun and scope I want to be able to reach out 500-600 yards for My Elk hunt if needed. Hopefully won't have to shoot that far on an early Bull hunt. But if You seen a pig across a canyon You couldn't get to ,I wanna be able to kill from there. Next question is what bullet for this gun and elk hunt would You guys use. I wanna start shooting and not wait to late. I do have a harris bi-pod. Thanks for all the help Guys...........BOB!

As soon as I get this scope mounted I am shooting 5 dif loads ALL with 165 grn accu-bonds. You will get 10 dif answers to that question like I did. Some say heavier bullet but I shot heavier and want to try something a little faster that will still kill at long range. Good luck Bob.

$725

Brian

eBay

$725

Brian

eBay

Thanks

185-210 Berger HVLD or 175-210 Sierra Match King would be my choice if I were shooting a .300 WM.

• Like 1

I had one 30-06 all my life with a leoupold. vx2 at long range did alot of guessing. I figured one more gun for the rest of my life at 58. I had allways been into hunting but not into guns or shooting. My rifle is a Tikka synthetic stock 300 win mag with the above mentioned Vortex Viper. I generally kept shots under 375 yards. With this new gun and scope I want to be able to reach out 500-600 yards for My Elk hunt if needed. Hopefully won't have to shoot that far on an early Bull hunt. But if You seen a pig across a canyon You couldn't get to ,I wanna be able to kill from there. Next question is what bullet for this gun and elk hunt would You guys use. I wanna start shooting and not wait to late. I do have a harris bi-pod. Thanks for all the help Guys...........BOB![/quote

My choice would be either the 180gr swift scirocco or the 200 gr accubond. Of the two I like the swift better, just wish they made a 200 gr.

As soon as I get this scope mounted I am shooting 5 dif loads ALL with 165 grn accu-bonds. You will get 10 dif answers to that question like I did. Some say heavier bullet but I shot heavier and want to try something a little faster that will still kill at long range. Good luck Bob.

Faster is rarely better especially at long range. The heavier bullet will actually retain velocity better than the lighter one due to a higher BC and more than likely be faster beyond 600 yards or so. A heavy for caliber bullet will always maximize the potential of the caliber by providing more energy, and less wind drift. That means 185-210gr bullets in the .300 as Lance suggested. Fast and flat used to be what worked best because laser rangefinders were not readily available to everyone and being able to hold fur out to 400 yards or so was a big deal. Now days 400 yards is not even considered long range at all and 600-700 yards is the norm where wind conditions become much more important than a flat trajectory.

• Like 1

Faster is rarely better especially at long range. The heavier bullet will actually retain velocity better than the lighter one due to a higher BC and more than likely be faster beyond 600 yards or so. A heavy for caliber bullet will always maximize the potential of the caliber by providing more energy, and less wind drift. That means 185-210gr bullets in the .300 as Lance suggested. Fast and flat used to be what worked best because laser rangefinders were not readily available to everyone and being able to hold fur out to 400 yards or so was a big deal. Now days 400 yards is not even considered long range at all and 600-700 yards is the norm where wind conditions become much more important than a flat trajectory.

totally understand that.

$725

Brian

eBay

Thanks

Ordered it Monday

Arrived yesterday.

Looks nice. Have it mounted.

Will Shoot it tomorrow.

• Like 1

The 168 GR BARNES TSX works well for me in my .300 Win Mag at the 500-600 range. Good luck.

$725

Brian

eBay

Thanks

Ordered it Monday

Arrived yesterday.

Looks nice. Have it mounted.

Will Shoot it tomorrow.

Hey bull, I just got my vortex mounted and I am shooting tomorrow as well. Where do you go to shoot?