Sign in to follow this  
TAM

Not bad for a 14 year old!

Daryl, sounds like our dads were in cahoots! Sorry about the Mt. View Toro thing... Go Corona del Sol Aztec's ;) Just like hunting and the outdoors has a lot to offer our children I believe sports has a lot of value as well. Especially when it motivates them to do positive things with their lives.

• Like 1

Phil, yes his traveling team is registered with all the different clubs and organizations down in Phx and we play tournaments every other week. In fact we just took 2nd in a pretty big event over Memorial day weekend! The level of talent is much better in Phx versus here in Prescott so it's really healthy for the team to play up!

Nice I think we were at the same tournament! The tournament at The Kroc Center in South Phx ? My son also plays up on the 14U team,we didnt place though. We lost one of our better players to Bishop Gorman High School in Las Vegas so that hurts but like you said travel club ball is fun it lets the boys see the different levels of competition. We did a Las Vegas tournament a couple months back and that was fun too. I help coach and have been involved in club ball for about 5 years now and all I can reccomend for your son is to just keep practicing and listen to your coaches!! This up coming weekend we will be in Yuma playing in a tournament, that one is kind of fun because teams from Mexico come play, believe it or not they got some tall Mexicans that can ball too lol ..

Phil, yes the tournament at the Kroc center is the one we took 2nd. What team are you? We're the Titans Athletic Club 14U. Did we play each other?

• Like 1

Phil, yes the tournament at the Kroc center is the one we took 2nd. What team are you? We're the Titans Athletic Club 14U. Did we play each other?

Yeah you guys beat us on Sunday, ... We are the AZ Cobras.. You guys got a lot of size on that squad, even the PG was big lol..Titans are a good team we have never played them or heard about them until that day so it was definitely a fun game. Our boys made a little push and brought the huge lead the Tiatns had down to to 9 points at one point, but Titans got the best of us good team and good group of boys.

Phil... small world! I didn't make it to that game it was my turn to stay home with the kids. It kills me to miss games! Yes we have some size but sometimes our big feet don't move fast enough to keep up with some of those athletic Phx squads. Some of those teams run and press so fast our boys don't know what to do. I'll keep on the look out for your team down there perhaps we'll cross paths at a future game, best of luck to the AZ Cobras!

• Like 1

Phil... small world! I didn't make it to that game it was my turn to stay home with the kids. It kills me to miss games! Yes we have some size but sometimes our big feet don't move fast enough to keep up with some of those athletic Phx squads. Some of those teams run and press so fast our boys don't know what to do. I'll keep on the look out for your team down there perhaps we'll cross paths at a future game, best of luck to the AZ Cobras!

Yeah down in Phoenix we like to play small ball and press! LOL... Tam, best of luck to your son and The Titans.

Awesome post. Brag all you want about your kids...I do :). No shame in being proud of your kid's accomplishments as long as you do so in a respectable manner while making sure your kids continue to do great things with a humble demeanor. Keep up the great job (your son as well as the rest of your family).

Get with his high school counselors now and map out a four year plan to make sure his eligibility equals his talent when he graduates. Don't accep them just saying that he will get the correct classes, demand to see his academic plan charted out on the NCAA clearinghouse work sheet. I have some experience in this area and have seen students and families have to scramble their junior and senior years to be eligible even though the kid received top grades in every class taken. In particular, ask to see their clearinghouse certification on the lab science courses...this area seems to cause more problems than any other. Classes that many high schools consider lab sciences, do not meet the NCAA definition.

Enjoy the next four years, you will love them, and they will fly by so fast.

How true. I've been a counselor for 20 plus years. I have never had a kid not qualify, but, then again, I have been on top of things. Rules have changed for the class of 2016 and beyond as to what it takes to get cleared for Div 1. See this link

- http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Quick_Reference_Sheet.pdf

Check the 48H form at your son's high school. It will list all of the approved courses offered at his high school. If the class is on the 48H form it is approved, there is nothing to worry about. But, not every course offered by a high school is on their approved list of classes. Ten of the 16 classes have to be completed before senior year starts. Plan early, he'll be fine. Good luck!

• Like 1

Get with his high school counselors now and map out a four year plan to make sure his eligibility equals his talent when he graduates. Don't accep them just saying that he will get the correct classes, demand to see his academic plan charted out on the NCAA clearinghouse work sheet. I have some experience in this area and have seen students and families have to scramble their junior and senior years to be eligible even though the kid received top grades in every class taken. In particular, ask to see their clearinghouse certification on the lab science courses...this area seems to cause more problems than any other. Classes that many high schools consider lab sciences, do not meet the NCAA definition.

Enjoy the next four years, you will love them, and they will fly by so fast.

How true. I've been a counselor for 20 plus years. I have never had a kid not qualify, but, then again, I have been on top of things. Rules have changed for the class of 2016 and beyond as to what it takes to get cleared for Div 1. See this link

- http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Quick_Reference_Sheet.pdf

Check the 48H form at your son's high school. It will list all of the approved courses offered at his high school. If the class is on the 48H form it is approved, there is nothing to worry about. But, not every course offered by a high school is on their approved list of classes. Ten of the 16 classes have to be completed before senior year starts. Plan early, he'll be fine. Good luck!

Thanks for picking up the slack Sam. Our counselors are gone for the summer so I was going to try and find the link as well as for number.

TAM, Sam is much closer to this than I am and his info is spot on.

• Like 1

Thank you both PD & Sam! I barely passed high school and wasn't motivated to go to college so I really am clueless about this stuff. Before this conversation I figured none of his classes mattered as long as he got A's & B's everything was good. Already spoke with my wife and we'll be sure to go over all this stuff with a counselor... thx again!

• Like 1

That's awesome Tim! That boy's got some serious hops. Having one daughter in club ball and another in competition dance I know the amount of dedication it takes from not only the athletes but also the parents. Kudos to you buddy and way to go Kade!

• Like 1

In the early 70' When I played If You was good You was Ok anywhere. I didn't play college ball, But barely passed High School and still could have played. They didn't care back then. I know some pretty dumb guys that played college and pros. Thats like the SEC in football. Guys can't read the diploma they get. I could go on all day about the old days. Just old Farts now. At 5-10 I could dunk a softball, but hands couldn't palm a basketball. Young guys keep at it. I still miss the game and wish I would of continued playing. Back then most inner city kids had no parent support. Now days there is allmost to much.............BOB!