jhedg

Draw Questions

Ok I have been doing this for a few years in AZ now, and I still don't know crap about it, don't understand it. Try to read about it still cant figure it out, talk to people they still cant figure it out after years of hunting here. I know people that get drawn for their first choice all the time. I know a guy who has been drawn for elk the last 7 yrs I have been 1 time in 4, and he put in for bull every year. I was at the range last week talking to one of the range masters last year he put in for 36A did not get drawn, then the leftovers come out and his date that he put in for is one of the areas for a left over tag, how does that happen? don't understand!! Now I cant imagine the people telling me they get drawn are FOS what would the benefit be of lying about it. So I guess one of my questions is if I want to put in for a area that has a low number of tags, should I put that area 1-5 on my application or does it even make a difference, or should I just put it in the 1 spot. I don't know I don't understand.

i was supposed to be in the bonus pass for the late bull tag i applied for this year. tag was a "guarantee" draw for me. did not draw. the draw system in Arizona is flawed. plain and simple. the only people that do not agree with that statement are the lucky ones that draw antelope, elk and sheep on next to zero BP. do yourself a favor and buy a membership to hunters trailhead. saves a lot of time and headaches in determining what to apply for, and what your true odds of drawing are

• Like 2

so how is that going to help me understand anymore then the long time hunters, and what makes that any for accurate then anything else. for 25.00 kind of confused

Yes it does matter what choice you put it down for. You want to put your lowest odds of drawing hunt as first choice, followed by your second choice (which has higher odds). You will never draw a lower odd hunt as a second choice, if your first choice has higher odds than it. Your third through fifth choices are going to be hunts that would show as 100% draw odds according to hunters trailhead or the odds listed in the game regulations.

But, then again like greyghost stated, there were some issues with this past draw as I have a buddy that didn't draw an elk tag and was the exact same scenario as he was. He was well into the bonus pass and the hunt he applied for....

• Like 1

I was also a "guaranteed" draw for antelope this year, and had a real good chance at late rifle bull elk. But all I got were refund checks again.

There is no "guaranteed" draw anymore.

you can be in the bonus point pass and not be drawn, happens all the time. only way to guarantee draw is to have the max points in the unit that particular year. if there are only 4 bonus pool tags in a unit and 1 guy puts in with 20pts and 5 guys have 19pts then there will be two ticked off guys 19pts that will have to wait another year

I've always wondered about the same thing! About 3 years ago I put in for early rifle deer, 36B first choice, 36A 2nd choice , & 34A 3rd choice. 36B and 36A early hunts have a crazy amount of tags but somehow I drew my 3rd choice! I did not understand how that happened. That year I remember seeing leftovers for both 36 B&A (I don't recall how many?) but wondered how it was possible for me not to get my first choice but there be left overs?!

I was thinking of putting in for deer in a unit with about 60% draw odds for first choice just to try and get a tag in a different unit closer to home. I have successfully drawn tags in a different unit that has higher draw odds every year I put in. Think I should just stick with my sure fire unit and forget about the other?

i was supposed to be in the bonus pass for the late bull tag i applied for this year. tag was a "guarantee" draw for me. did not draw. the draw system in Arizona is flawed. plain and simple. the only people that do not agree with that statement are the lucky ones that draw antelope, elk and sheep on next to zero BP. do yourself a favor and buy a membership to hunters trailhead. saves a lot of time and headaches in determining what to apply for, and what your true odds of drawing are

I would like to be able to audit the draw system as the draw is taking place.

that's what I am talking about!!! I don't friggen understand

I had recently made a post about left over tags. Your question is one of the reasons I was leaning towards waiting to pick up a left over tag vs. putting into the draw. That way I could for sure pick up a leftover and not get a unit I don't really want!

Some members left some great info and pointed out that the last few years the left overs for the unit I want (36B) have had lower numbers then before. So I'm going to have to take my chance at the draw again and hopefully get what I want.

that's what I am talking about!!! I don't friggen understand

I had recently made a post about left over tags. Your question is one of the reasons I was leaning towards waiting to pick up a left over tag vs. putting into the draw. That way I could for sure pick up a leftover and not get a unit I don't really want!

Some members left some great info and pointed out that the last few years the left overs for the unit I want (36B) have had lower numbers then before. So I'm going to have to take my chance at the draw again and hopefully get what I want.

If you take a left over tag you lose all your bonus points right?

so how is that going to help me understand anymore then the long time hunters, and what makes that any for accurate then anything else. for 25.00 kind of confused

it may not help you understand but it will give you your percentage chance of drawing the tag you want with the bp you have...

if you want to hunt put in for a hunt that has higher draw odds... if you want a trophy tag then you will be bitching for a long long time.

some guys draw an elk tag every year... they put in for higher odds

don't over think it.

James

• Like 3

If you take a left over tag you lose all your bonus points right?

No, hence the beauty of leftovers and why there are getting harder and harder to come by.

• Like 1

Question for all of you that claim that you should have been drawn for the guaranteed tag. What hunt did you put in for and how many points? The draw system works exactly as its meant to if you understand it. Tell me the unit and the points and I'll explain what happened and why you didn't draw. There isn't a situation that can't be explained with the bonus reports. Could be a NR cap was hit, or multiple people with the same number of points put in for the same hunt and you happened to be the unlucky one of the top bonus point holders that didn't draw.

• Like 2