Good news--- the 140gr Amax handloads are shooting very well. I've been getting to the range once a week and will continue to until October. Weather here is a bit humid but in the 80s so I shouldn't see too much temp variance when I get to 34a in 9 weeks!!

Still working on refining the packing list a little for what I will carry in and what I will carry in my 'day pack'.

Has anyone used the 'Hunt Maps' GPS stuff for their garmin and how accurate/worthwhile is it??

Ronin- Decided on 140gr Amax for the 6.5 and my backup rifle is my 25/06 with 110gr accubonds.

Question for all--- What do you do, if anything, for scent control? I'm used to a very strict approach for eastern whitetails.

Question for all--- What do you do, if anything, for scent control? I'm used to a very strict approach for eastern whitetails.

For an October rifle hunt - just the wind.

• Like 1

Got into this conversation way to late. But for next year you may want to consider Fort Huachuca, if your still on active duty. You could stay in the BEQ/BOQ, hot shower every night and chow within walking distance. Hunting on the Fort is open to active and retired military members and their dependents, plus current DoD employees. Super deer herd with some nice big bucks, plenty of cats both big and small and more coyotes than you can shoot.

Enjoy your hunt and Arizona,

Chief-- All great points! I've found that most military installations I've hunted (Sill, Hunter AAF, Stewart, Knox) have well resourced offices but also have some stringent and uncommon regs that are easy to run afoul of... and then the whole weapons registration piece. Now having to register individually at each base can be a pain.

How are things at Huachuca with provost marshall office and the hunt control office?

Yep, have to register your weapon with the PMO, have a hunter safety card and buy a post permit. Ft Huachuca is primarily run by civilians for civilians, PMO included. The Fort at one time had the best game management program in the entire DoD, but like everything else the toads, salamanders, tweety-birds took priority.

When stationed there (Garrison XO) had a big sign in my office that said "Any similarity between Fort Huachuca and the United States Army is purely coincidental." Need I say that I caught the devil over it, but refused to take it down.

• Like 1

Chief--- LOVE THE SIGN! I bet it did cause some consternation.

I really like what Fort Knox does-- They have a tiered system 1- Currently serving active/reserve 2-Service disabled vets 3-Retirees 4- Civilians. Tiers 1-3 can hunt archery and gun with OTC tags. Tier 4 can only draw for a single week for archery and for a 2 weekend (4 days) quota gun hunt. It gives service related folks to most chances to hunt. And if you are on pre or post deployment leave you get a discounted tag and can gun hunt the archery or muzzy season if it's open.

This is stark contrast to Fort Sill where there are no tiers and no system to give the advantage to Soldiers or Retirees. It is to the point there where more people want to hunt than the post can support so the quality is dropping (everyone killing 1.5-2.5 year old bucks) and some guys didn't even get drawn to hunt!! Might be why they are advertising for a new game warden!!

I am very familiar with Ft. Huachuca and the deer are thicker then rats in a shoot house! I would call it more of a game farm for the old retired Vets to play around on. I cant think of a better place to shoot a Couse in AZ! If i was still active thats the only place i would want to put in for.

Good luck on your hunt!

Gents, thanks for the info on Huachuca-- I think it will be on the hit list next year if I can find the time off. Probably have more questions to follow on that if it comes to fruition.

Quick update on the hunt in 34a for this year.

I've got my packing list set up. I did it on an excel document with help from a buddy who backpacks a good bit. I broke it out to a 'Main Camp' kit and then a 'spike camp' kit and a 'day hunt' kit. I feel pretty good about it all and will gladly share the document with anyone who is interested and if anyone could edit it for Arizona specifics that would be AWESOME.

I've had my eberlestock X2 packed up with about 65lbs and been walking 4-6 miles at a time at least once if not twice a week in addition to normal PT.

The rifle is shooting really well. I have handloaded 140gr Amaxs and shooting 1" at 200yds but my range here only gets to 250yds. Anyone have suggestions on shooting drills to simulate 300,400,500 yards?

I would say just keep plugging away keeping the group small. Maybe use targets with smaller bullseyes, "aim small, miss small"

1" @ 200yrds is 1/2 MOA and more than good enough and you can take that measurement out to longer distances. 400yrds=2", 600=3"... etc.. If you and the gun are working that well together then the actual action of shooting will really be the least of your concerns.

In regards to the distance itself I see two primary issues (and they are the same ones I have).

1. Accurately figuring your drop. This can be a challenge as you are not getting the opportunity to actually test it out. this is an issue for me as well as my range only goes to 200. Getting accurate chrono and bullet data on what you are shooting and use of ballistics program etc will be very important. I am still trying to figure out a way to get at least 3-400yrd testing done for some real world testing to backup ballistics calculations..
  2. Being realistic with terminal performance and making sure any shot you take you keep within the envelope that the bullet is designed for. One thing to put the bullet where you want it, another for it to have the speed or energy to function and open properly. Some bullets are designed to open from 2000fps+, others 1500fps+. Making sure you are in that sweet spot is important. Again a ballistics program, will be very handy to calculate speed @ distance.

Hornady has an online ballitics program, then there are phone apps. I am going with Strelok and already have my base gun and ammo data loaded. I hope to get out confirm my 100yrd zero this week and then shoot 200yrds and see how the drop compares. not a great test as any varience will be very small, but it should give me an idea and way to test dialing up my drop etc and getting back to zero.

Edited by lamrith

Good luck on your hunt. Don't be discouraged right away if you don't see any deer. Once you spot one, your eyes will have a reference and the deer will be easier to pick out of their surroundings.

All-- Things are coming together. The kit is complete and packing list is finalized (for now). Rifle is now shooting .4 and .5 groups off the bipod with a variable tail wind. I will load up 40 rounds this weekend to tweak the zero and checking my drop at 200 and 250m (max range at my club). I am using the Vortex LRBC and will download and try Shooter to check drops before finalizing a table.

4 weeks!!!