1denogean

Kowa Highlanders/ for those who've had or used them

I am torn between buying these right now, i really like the glass but i cant see myself buying them when i want the eyepieces to be strait. to all who have used them how do you like the angled eye pieces after so long? do they hurt your next? how is it glassing down hill? will i be more happy if i get two strait spotters and mount them together? lets pretend money is not an option because i would like to be comfortable and have super nice glass to see the distance.

Thanks to who has answers for me and God Bless

Take a look at the Doctors, they have the the straight eye piece, excellent glass and a little cheaper than the kowas.

post-2501-0-88583200-1435082612.jpg

yes rage, i have been looking at them also. they arent too much cheaper than the kowas depending on the model. just no stores carry those for me to go look through thats a downside also

i think most people agree that the kowas are a lot higher quality with better clarity

• Like 1

I don't think you will be glassing down hill a lot with the Kowa's, because you will usually be miles away looking a large mountain sides or valley's. I might be wrong though. Either way I think they would be more comfortable than the straight eye piece.

I'm hoping to get a pair this year.

Adam

You get used to the angle... it took me a while... but it is worth it.

All depends on your application. Most guys that I know with the kowas take a small stool to sit on and are quit comfortable. However if you are always looking down from high points they can be a pain depending on the angle. A client on the strip with me did nothing but complain about his neck after 7 days of looking straight down into this thicket off a big rim. Another factor for me was weight. The kowas are the heaviest. I went the doctor route for awhile. No complaints. Still have a set for backup or extra person just in case. Now I have two swaro 65 spotters mounted together. Shaved my weight down to a little over 7pbs vs the over 14 lb kowas. HUGE difference. Guys say they are truck glass but once you start using them you will carry them EVERYWHERE!!! I think it really just boils down to your preference. You will find guys happy on both ends of the topic.

• Like 3

Becker who did your Swaros? Seems like the best option.

I went with the Doctors because the angled eyepieces and weight. I got the 20-50x80ed. I love thrm. I carry them pretty far in at times.

Gitzo, with the leveling center column. Twist lock legs and carbon fiber. Their pricey but watch ebay and other sites and find a deal. You will fall in love with the leveling column and the strength of it.

Here's my set up, twin kowa prominar spotters. Come in at just under 6 pounds. Smallin size too, 14.50 inches long and under 7 wide.

post-2999-0-13072700-1438137580_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome!

Who set yours up?

My buddy has a neighbor who has a CNc machine and builds the plates, he builds them as thin and light as we can go without having flexing issues. They are really sweet. It's tough to beat the gods to when you can get it for about 2000 including eye pieces. The kowa prominar glass is really lightweight and amazing glass. He can build a plate for any spotter if it would work, so far he made a plate for swaro 65 and swaro 80s. The plate below is a Swarovski plate and is almost double the size of a kowa plate