Sign in to follow this  
mbiewer

MUDBUGS!

This may be a dumb question but does it matter if the bacon is cooked? Hoping to try my luck with traps later this summer and bacon seems to be the bait of choice for them.

raw bacon is the ticket. they can't tear it up as quickly as other stuff

No one ever answered Capt. Don's question and I am curious too. Is it legal to use parts of a game fish for this? I assume it is but not sure.

No one ever answered Capt. Don's question and I am curious too. Is it legal to use parts of a game fish for this? I assume it is but not sure.

You can not use the Flesh of Game Fish as bait .... So unless G&F has redefined flesh ( which is muscle and fat found between the skin and bones) then using the guts or organs should not be against the law... You can not use a whole game fish ( tell the craws that when they are eating at the fish on your stringer) or fillets from a fish.

I'm gonna try willow. Where's a good place to buy a couple traps?

i'd let you use mine, but its a little hard to drop them off. lol.

Check out www.trapperarne.com Its a guy out of Scottsdale, he has decent prices. Otherwise plenty of places to order them online

I've use a wire minnow trap with a can of cheap cat food in it. You just need to make the holes a little bigger. I use Zatarains Crab Boil, new potatoes, corn, onions and some mushrooms in it. Sausage if I have some but I just used of the last of it. I bring it back when I visit my brother in Louisiana a couple of times a year.

It is good to keep them in fresh water so they purge.

I was wondering when someone would mention the need to have freshly caught crawdads purge themselves. I've always just kept changing their water every couple of hours until it remains clear. Anyone have a quicker or better way to do this as well as a recipe for cooking them? I've only tried boiling them in water with SeasonAll salt in it.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that your kids might like to catch crawdads with their regular fishing tackle. Just tie a piece of raw bacon onto the leader (no hook needed). Cast it out and let the bait sit on the bottom for a couple of minutes. If they slowly reel in without jerking, they'll find crawdads still holding onto the bacon. It doesn't take long for two or three kids to reel in a bucket of bugs when they learn how to do it. --- Bill Quimby

• Like 2

I think just about anything can attract crawdads. Caught a ton a knoll lake a while back using hot dogs. I've also heard dog food works too.

well we survived. Jack wagons! From people shooting randomly in the middle of the night, quads around midnight (although they were "courteous" in the fact that they were just creeping down the road... but any noise in the middle of the night is enough to wake me up). more random shots fired, and then some rain, a restless English pointer, oh and a broken pop up camper.

but as for the crawfish: We set up camp Friday and after about 1.5 of arguing with the kids and the dog to stay in bed we got up at 6.

We tried turkey necks, chicken livers, and some packaged minnows (fish bait). for the first part of the morning. We went back around 11 with the group and checked the traps. plenty of bait but little yield. Before we went back to camp for the afternoon. One generous beach neighbor gave us the trout he caught, and one of my kiddos caught a trout from the kayak. We put the heads in separate traps with the rest of the gross parts and went back after dinner. Still hardly nothing. We put sardines, turkey necks, and cat food in the traps for overnight.

Nothing like the 300-400 that was mentioned on here. but a boy scout group did say they were more plentiful at the opposite end of the lake. We probably got about a sandwich baggie of just tails (1/2) full all weekend long.

Still had lots of fun, and thanks to everyone who had some input!

Should have taken my advice and used bacon ;)

• Like 1

well we survived. Jack wagons! From people shooting randomly in the middle of the night, quads around midnight (although they were "courteous" in the fact that they were just creeping down the road... but any noise in the middle of the night is enough to wake me up). more random shots fired, and then some rain, a restless English pointer, oh and a broken pop up camper.

but as for the crawfish: We set up camp Friday and after about 1.5 of arguing with the kids and the dog to stay in bed we got up at 6.

We tried turkey necks, chicken livers, and some packaged minnows (fish bait). for the first part of the morning. We went back around 11 with the group and checked the traps. plenty of bait but little yield. Before we went back to camp for the afternoon. One generous beach neighbor gave us the trout he caught, and one of my kiddos caught a trout from the kayak. We put the heads in separate traps with the rest of the gross parts and went back after dinner. Still hardly nothing. We put sardines, turkey necks, and cat food in the traps for overnight.

Nothing like the 300-400 that was mentioned on here. but a boy scout group did say they were more plentiful at the opposite end of the lake. We probably got about a sandwich baggie of just tails (1/2) full all weekend long.

Still had lots of fun, and thanks to everyone who had some input!

I also had very little success last weekend. I'm not sure if it could have been the heat but trout fishing and crawfish traps came up empty.

Point of pines lake today kids using worms on a hook, if you used a trap you'd probably be overwhelmed.

DAN

post-529-0-52303000-1436146094_thumb.jpg

• Like 2