257wby

An idea on hunt opportunity

I think some people get more satisfaction out of the draw process than actually getting drawn for a tag.

I, myself, would rather see my odds improve drastically for one good hunt per year, than apply for 10 tags I have little chance at drawing.

As a person who would much rather hunt deer than elk, I could see deer draw odds improve greatly if we had to choose either elk or deer to apply for, but not both. I get no satisfaction what so ever out of applying for tags, only drawing them.

the problem is that arizona has so few tags that even if you limited it to one species a year you still wouldn't be garanteed a tag because there are so many people putting in for what little we do have.you would just be limiting yourselves even more with a system like that.

wklman, dont agree with that at all. az has too many tags as we were all discussing not too long ago. too many tags, and too many applicants.

casey, i am not arguing the number of tags that az puts out.what i am arguing is that if az was to put in a one species only draw people still wouldn't be satisfied because you would still have lots of people not getting drawn because az has way too many people putting in for the tags that we do have. my arguement isn't for more tags,its for not restricting the number of species i can apply for.

OK, here it is! Since sheep is the only species left for me and I've put in the draw for over 30 years, so I say let's get it started but I have to be the only one putting in for a sheep tag. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last year there were a total of 64,508 big game permits issued for deer, antelope, sheep, elk and buffalo (not counting turkey and javelina). There were at least 97,931 hunters applying, so limiting the draw to one species does not guarantee a tag.

Species;# permits; # applicants

Deer; 38,682; 90,378

Antelope; 959; 27,640

Elk; 24,766; 97,931

Sheep; 93; 16,332

Buffalo; 8; 1998

Last year there were a total of 64,508 big game permits issued for deer, antelope, sheep, elk and buffalo (not counting turkey and javelina). There were at least 97,931 hunters applying, so limiting the draw to one species does not guarantee a tag.

Species;# permits; # applicants

Deer; 38,682; 90,378

Antelope; 959; 27,640

Elk; 24,766; 97,931

Sheep; 93; 16,332

Buffalo; 8; 1998

You are not guarenteed a tag now, but I would bet big $$$ that there would be a lot of left over Oct deer tags (like there used to be) if hunters were forcedto choose between elk and deer on their original application.

The implementation of a program such as once you get drawn for a specific species, you have to sit out a few seasons...has been implemented in the past. I think it would increase opportunity for us unlucky guys in the draw. There are too many of the same guys getting drawn year after year. There has got to be an explanation... :ph34r: Do you guys put in with USO or what?

This program of course only works for low draw odd hunts.

The implementation of a program such as once you get drawn for a specific species, you have to sit out a few seasons...has been implemented in the past. I think it would increase opportunity for us unlucky guys in the draw. There are too many of the same guys getting drawn year after year. There has got to be an explanation... :ph34r: Do you guys put in with USO or what?

This program of course only works for low draw odd hunts.

USO :lol: :lol:

What units do you typically put in for elk? 1, 9, 10 rifle,bow? What about deer? The strip, December whitey's?

Just curious cause we have had a simular discussion about this on previous threads. (IMO) There are plenty of way's to

get drawn unless you put in for the so called Trophy units on a regular basis. To each his own I guess but I usually

stay away from those low percentage units because in my mind there is a true trophy in every unit.