Sign in to follow this  
TOBY

Colorblind and rangefinders?

Does anyone have trouble seeing red led displays on rangefinders? They are practically invisible to my eyes until late in the day. Looking to upgrade to 800 yard or better without breaking the bank but needs to read in black.

that's gonna be a pretty tall order i think. most of the good rangefinders are red, because black is nearly impossible to see in low-light situations. have you looked through a high end rangefinder? the reticle in them is usually much clearer. cheap rangefinders are exactly that. when they advertise 800-1000 yards, they will usually only work for about 60-70% of advertised range, in a hunting situation. i think they get their range limit that they advertise by shooting them at a big mirror at the specified range. i have a pretty nice, new leupold 1000 and it will realistically only range 800 yards dependably in a hunting situation

Leupold red is invisible to my eyes. I have a bushnell arc that works great for all my archery needs. Just wanting a little more distance for rifle seasons.

I'm color blind too. Certain sunglasses can enhance the red during daylight.

I use a Nikon Monarch 800 that I bought a few years ago. It has bold black numbers in the display and it will range to 800 yds on hard targets. As I recall, I paid somewhere between $300 and $350 for it. I would suggest that you drop by a Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabelas or Bass Pro and try several different ones--I'm sure that you'll find one that displays in black, ranges to 800 and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I'm colorblind and can see red fine in the store but out in the field it's invisible unless I have a dark backround. I use a niko that has a black reticle that I can see out to 500 yards no problem but haven't found one that I can see real clear out past that. I usually have someone find my range for me, but I haven't had to range past 120yards for a shot yet.

I have same problem. Leica 1600b for me was the darkest of all the reds. I cant even see the swaros

What i do is range it then real quick put my hand in front of it and u can see it fine. Try that method