Sign in to follow this  
eagle#eyes

New guy question

I'm new to the forum as well as quality optics. I'm looking at a new pair of 15's and am considering the swaros,zeiss conquest as well as the euro hd's. I know the only way to judge for yourself is to look through them, and have read as many reviews as possible about the 3. Any particular review says 1 or the other is better or close enough to the swaros to justify not paying that much,my question is will that still be the case in 5-10 years? I know these sets are relatively new so there may not much data on it. I have close eyes so not just any set will work for me and I have yet to get my hands on the euro's,cabelas hasn't had them in stock yet.

Thanks

everyone is going to tout the ones they own, it's human nature

get the best you can afford and you will not be second guessing yourself

• Like 3

One thing I have noticed about higher end optics is that they hold their value fairly well. If you end up paying $### or $#,### for some high end optics and they don't work out, chances are you will find someone in the market that will give you a fair price. In 5-10 years there will be glass available that is lighter in weight and has better clarity, the cost will more than likely reflect the new advancement in technology.

I'm a Vortex guy. I think they make quality enough glass for what I do, at great price and they have an exceptional warranty. I have the Viper 15X50 HD's and have had no complaints in the past three years I have been using them. However I am looking to upgrade to the Razors.

If I had the extra $$ to spend I would go with Swaros.

I have sat behind a few including my own. When I have the money I will purchase swaro's. I love my little nikon's, vortex razor's are great but swaro's still hold the edge.

Buy right or buy twice.

As was mentioned above- go with what you like and you can always resell them if you dont like them.

I got the Ziess and am very happy with them.

Just curious, did you compare them to anything else before you bought them? I have hands held them briefly in the store and wasn't sure if the eye cups were to bulky or not. They look thicker than the swaros so I'm not sure if that would make a difference or if I would just get used to what I have.

Get what you can afford and upgrade when feasible. There are really no bargains when it comes to glass but if you watch the classifieds and EBay , etc you will eventually run across a deal that will save you a few hundred dollars.

• Like 1

Get what you can afford and upgrade when feasible. There are really no bargains when it comes to glass but if you watch the classifieds and EBay , etc you will eventually run across a deal that will save you a few hundred dollars.

I got my hopes up this evening because Cabela's had the 15x56slc's in the bargain cave. I got transferred to the optic department and was told there was an issue with the adaptor mount, something was put in backwards and they said now you can only use an actual Swarovski adaptor, but the deal breaker was while she said they are the hd,they are not the newest model, which doesn't fit me. I think they were 1800 if anyone is looking for a pair. The guy acted like he could be talked down a little too.

I got the Ziess and am very happy with them.

Just curious, did you compare them to anything else before you bought them? I have hands held them briefly in the store and wasn't sure if the eye cups were to bulky or not. They look thicker than the swaros so I'm not sure if that would make a difference or if I would just get used to what I have.

I looked at all 3 several times in the store. I was going to get whatever one I liked best. Call me crazy but I liked the Zeiss slightly better. Maybe opinion would have been different if I was on the side of a hill with all 3.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the top brands. Swaros, Leica, zeiss....... I haven't really looked through any of the newer zeiss stuff for a long time but my father still has his old big pair of 15's. He's had them for over 30 years. I'm a Swaro fan. My business partner uses the Leica 15s with the range finder in them. I have a couple different range finders for different applications so I didn't see the need to have the built in but it sure is nice just to be able to range right through the binocs.

I have looked through some vortexes from time to time. I even have a set now that I won in a raffle. I just don't like them. They just don't seem to focus up for me very well. Not sure how to explain it but they ARE NOT the same as my swaros!

• Like 1

I appreciate the input. At this point i just need to go and look through them and see how they compare. The Euros may end up being the odd bino out since the lady at Cabelas didn't seem to know when they would be getting any 15x56 in and I"m out in east Mesa, i can look at the other 2 at Sportsmans or even Bass. If anybody out my way has any I could look through sometime let me know, and for that matter if anyone is selling any, let me know, I've got an itchy trigger finger waiting to pull the trigger on something.

Thanks again.

Outdoorsmans had a used pair of the last model of swaros for around 1600 yesterday. I personally would go with those over the Zeiss. Euros are supposed to be awesome though

I have a 31 year old pair of Zeiss 15's and ill be replacing them with the new Zeiss 15's. Larger FOV @ 1000 yards than he swaros and i just cannot say that the swaros are $1000 betten than the Zeiss.

Eagle eyes just as an FYI I got the 2015 meopta catalog not to long ago and they did have the 15x56 hd listed under their own name so they might be available somewhere other then cabelas soon.

Eagle eyes just as an FYI I got the 2015 meopta catalog not to long ago and they did have the 15x56 hd listed under their own name so they might be available somewhere other then cabelas soon.

I'm interested to see who starts carrying those, if any of the big stores. I haven't heard anything bad about them but also don't know anyone that actually owns them either. I did get to handle the Zeiss and the Swaros last night, like everyone has said the Swaros are better. To me, they seemed sharper, felt better in my hands and up to my face, and the focus wheel on the Zeiss seemed sloppier/faster( I don't know if that is the correct term) which made me prefer the Swaros. Now I have to decide if they are actually $600 better, that is the tougher question. I have the funds for either but $600 is $600.