Sign in to follow this  
bvanetten

5B North Bulls

I wouldn't worry too much, its normal. Most of the cows herds are broken up and hiding after they drop their calves. Once the calves can move around real good they will herd back up and be everywhere and very vocal.

So a calf or fawn in distress sound might be a good coyote call up there right now? I'm bringing the rifle next time.

Definatly a good time to call coyotes! The fur sucks but a dead dog is a dead dog!! When fawns drop here in about a month will be another good time to hunt em. Good luck!

Im seeing a lot of fawns and and up to 200 cows in meadows, but not in 5b

I wouldn't worry too much, its normal. Most of the cows herds are broken up and hiding after they drop their calves. Once the calves can move around real good they will herd back up and be everywhere and very vocal.

So a calf or fawn in distress sound might be a good coyote call up there right now? I'm bringing the rifle next time.

Definatly a good time to call coyotes! The fur sucks but a dead dog is a dead dog!! When fawns drop here in about a month will be another good time to hunt em. Good luck!

Im seeing a lot of fawns and and up to 200 cows in meadows, but not in 5b

Sweet!!!! Lots of fawns is a good thing!!

The cows are in massive herds like 200 or so in that area.. No small herds.. The Bulls are like you saw. Then a week before the hunt everything changes.. The big cow herds get broken up and all bets are off.. Your scouting just tells you where water is and the lay of the land.. Everything changes just before the hunt..

5bs and 5a I am seeing 10 to 15 cows and about a 40 percent calf to cow. Only saw 2 bulls so far. Going to check cams monday so hope to see some bulls.

A few years back in early June I was able to call in a mountain lion with my diaphragm elk call by making it sound like a momma elk having birthing problems. Shot the lion dead with my 44 mag pistol at 30 yards. Aimed for mid-section and shot in the neck. Figure I only pulled the shot no more than 24". Ha. At least the lion is now on my wall and not still killing other deer and elk.

• Like 1