drebo1212

Archery Practice Help

Newer to archery hunting and looking for some help when practice shooting. Is there a number of shots you take when practicing? I sometimes feel the more each practice session I am shooting the more inconsistent I become. I have been trying to keep my practice sessions to about 15 min or 18- 24 shots. Am I shooting enough? The more I shoot the more I want to make adjustments that may be counter productive. I am open to suggestions. I have missed four deer the last two seasons and want to make sure that doesn't happen again. Thanks

I shoot 5 arrows as many times as I can and still be accurate I'm trying to get to 100 arrows a day. So far up to 50 haven't been able to shoot with work but trying all about muscle meomery and working the muscles. I also will switch up and hold for as long as I can till I start shaking practicing for shots where I have to hold. But to each is own everyone is gng to have there own way.

I would imagine it is just like any training which involves what SNEEKEE1 stated... muscle memory. Just like anything out there, practice makes perfect and the more you practice the better you will become. However, you must practice to be perfect.. in other words, if you don't take your time to have the right form and so on... you are practicing bad habits which will develop in your muscle memory.

• Like 1

Where do you shoot at? If you want to shoot a 6am session at Paseo Vista Archery Range in Chandler, I can join you any day this week. I shoot only broadheads into my own target, but field tip setups are on site from 10 to 100 yards in 10 yard increments. The shooting practice is open to anyone, as it is funner to practice with another shooter.

• Like 1

this might sound juvenile but i like to bring balloons to shoot at. makes things a little funner if your solo. if its a little windy they move around and helps focus,at least for me...Also recently added some lumenoks which are crazy fun to shoot in low light

• Like 2

Balloons are fun at any age!

• Like 1

taking your time and worrying about having the right form will usually end up a bouncing rear disappearing.

practicing a steady quick release - I try to shoot from different angles and different distances each shot . it does no good to stand in one spot and fling arrows all day

move around - lay your bow down and try to mimic a deer sighting and a quick draw/aim and smooth release

sit in a chair - shoot from a kneeling position - walk around a corner - anything to change up each time you shoot

shoot one inch groups at a known distance doesn't come close to whats going to happen out hunting

if it was as easy as take your time aiming and making sure your form is correct for each shot -- we'd all be killin machines

holding a draw for an extended period of time is good practice too.

that's not to say that having the skills to be confident in your abilities and practice doesn't make for a better hunter - it does

it happens every year a skilled - accomplished range / even expert shooter will miss a standing animal at less than 30 yrds - everything changes when that animal shows up!

• Like 3

I have a range in my back yard so I shoot daily in all weather conditions. Wind, rain snow, 100 degree heat to 20 degree cold, you never know the conditions you will be hunting in. When I started, two years ago, I had the bow set at 60 lbs. and worked on form. You need to work on the basics and get your form down. When I got my groups down I started working on distance. Then each week I would crank the draw weight one turn. You won't even notice the increase. Once I had my bow to 70 lbs. I started practicing from one knee, both knees, chair, holding as long as possible, any position I could imagine for hunting. From July 1 to hunting season I only shoot broadheads and hunting arrows. Wear the clothes you will be hunting in if possible. The one thing I know from when I was throwing in a dart league....... if you over practice you will get worse and not better. So once you start getting groups opening up, quit for the day.

• Like 1

18-24 shots is not enough IMO. For me there's two different reason to shoot. One is to sight my bow in and the other is for practice. If I'm sighting in my bow then I'm trying not to shoot much because I don't want my form going bad as the session goes on witch affects how I sight in my bow. If I'm practicing then I try to shoot as much as I possably can before I'm wore out, but I also understand that my groups may loosen and that does not mean that I need to adjust my bow it's just my fatigue. Me and my friends like to switch it up a little too like shooting at balloons or folded dollar bills, it forces you to try and keep the best form when there's dollars on line! And it makes it pretty fun also.

You will learn your limits. You do need to be careful when sighting your bow though. You don't want to be doing that while fatigued. You might be adjusting to a mistake, which is what you don't want.

As far as how much to shoot. That is completely up to you. Sometimes I shoot 6 arrows and sometimes I shoot 60 arrows. Just depends on how I feel. That is when I am at home. At the range, I will shoot for hours on end. You'll figure it out man! Just keep shooting!

• Like 1

My only advice is after a few warm up shots jump to longer distance for a few, 40 to 60 yards. Many shoot 20, 30, 40, then by the time they are hitting longer yards fatigue is setting in.

• Like 2

I shoot three in arrows in a set. I do two sets at 50 yards, then move up to 60, 70, and finally 80 yards. Then, I work my way back down from 70, 60, 50, and end up at 40 yards. For me, my variation comes from the steadiness during my release. That is what I really practice on the most... staying steady.

• Like 1

Shooting 80 yards teaches steadiness (or lack of) very quickly.

• Like 1