MathewQuigly

Hunt from horse back

Any of you done this? The knees aren't what they use to be after the military and I'm headed to a pretty open area, so thinking about taking my horse. Any thoughts or advise

If you can hunt on horseback do it. I think your 21 tag for deer would be a great place to use a horse. Just watch for snakes and cactus. Lots of cholla and barrel cactus in that unit. There are some good Cats in that area too.

• Like 1

Hunting off horses has pros and cons.

Give me a call 602.292.9264 or send me a PM and I'll do my best to answer any questions you might have.

• Like 1

like Murph said, 21 probably isn't the best unit to pack horses into. units with wilderness areas, and big tracts of roadless country are the units you would want to pack in to. horses really do pay off when you get an animal knocked down, especially elk. i packed in 8-9 miles last year on mules/horses into a wilderness area and still saw a few people hunting in there. somtimes they an really pay off, but a lot of the time they are more trouble than they are worth

There are huge wilderness areas in 21 that are perfect for horses. Plus there extremely large roadless areas only accessible horseback.

You've got a couple months to make sure your horses are desensitised to gunfire, are hobble trained and can stand tied all day or night without pulling.

If u are going to buy a pack saddle, best start with carrying tires around and cans of rocks. Otherwise, teach those horses to drag logs and sacks around so they can be useful dragging a deer.

Next time one of your chickens die, cut it open and get the blood on an old rug and throw it on the horses back till they stand still.

I either have your hunt or Mike's (which could've been yours too).

Best way to learn is to go with someone else whom has the knowledge.

Train and there'll be no need to complain.

• Like 2

i recomend it highly. all except the training the horses and gettin' em used to things part. the rodeo is half the fun. some friends were camped on a trail head in 27 a few years ago. the other hunters camped there wouild make a point to get up early every morning just to watch the rodeo. horses buckin' through tents, people goin' to the hospital. i love rodeos. Lark.

• Like 4

You've got a couple months to make sure your horses are desensitised to gunfire, are hobble trained and can stand tied all day or night without pulling.

If u are going to buy a pack saddle, best start with carrying tires around and cans of rocks. Otherwise, teach those horses to drag logs and sacks around so they can be useful dragging a deer.

Next time one of your chickens die, cut it open and get the blood on an old rug and throw it on the horses back till they stand still.

I either have your hunt or Mike's (which could've been yours too).

Best way to learn is to go with someone else whom has the knowledge.

Train and there'll be no need to complain.

He's already hobble trained edge. Twister trained him I haven't tried it yet though. He will also drag to. I need to re enforce these but he has been trained for it.

I'm working on gun fire now

Hope you got my area edge

• Like 1

i recomend it highly. all except the training the horses and gettin' em used to things part. the rodeo is half the fun. some friends were camped on a trail head in 27 a few years ago. the other hunters camped there wouild make a point to get up early every morning just to watch the rodeo. horses buckin' through tents, people goin' to the hospital. i love rodeos. Lark.

Lmao not funny

He should be fine at least I hope lol

I've got a friend right up the road from you that makes hobbles and pack saddles.

Put him in his stall and shoot a pellet gun near him till he's OK with it, slowly move up in noise like a 22 and fire crackers.

Don't assume he's trained, make certain

• Like 2

I hate hunting with horses. Way too much trouble for me. From taking care of them, water and feed ,to finding them when they get loose. IMO way more trouble then they're worth. Wouldn't be bad to have someone with horses to take you into a remote area then come back and get you. But horses in camp have always been a pain for me.

I hate hunting with horses. Way too much trouble for me. From taking care of them, water and feed ,to finding them when they get loose. IMO way more trouble then they're worth. Wouldn't be bad to have someone with horses to take you into a remote area then come back and get you. But horses in camp have always been a pain for me.

Folks think horses are domesticated, let go of the reins or lead rope and 90% will be gone in a flash, must be part of the romance. I know plenty of hunters that spent at least part of their hunt, hunting their horses.

• Like 6