TonyC

Looking to get a group together for duck season

Hey all, this will be my first ever duck hunt this year and I'm looking to joining up with a few who have experience. I'm very patient and a quick learner. I am hoping to join up with a few to learn "the game" and hopefully bring home some duck to the table.

Welcome to arizona duck hunting, most people keep their ducks spots more a secret than their deer spot. Pond jumping is what most people do, I used to hammer ducks in 6a pond jumping but now I am spoiled with what we call location X. I will gladly point you to some ponds or lakes in and around 6a that hold ducks, but this usually isn't until late November early December. Watch the weather in the northern state like Montana, Utah etc when it starts to get below freezing multiple days in a row, you can bet the Ducks will be heading south.

• Like 2

I'd help ya tony but like 6Anut said..... The spots are earned!! Lots of good spots near your place and along the freeway to where we met up yesterday but also lots of people! Best to get around as much as you can and watch flight patterns. Hopefully someone here will take you out though.

• Like 2

Thanks hoss. Yeah, it would be nice. I tell ya, it's a hard time trying to get started into hunting at an older age .. haha. If you are considered "youth" then there are tons of opportunities. Dang shame that all the beginning hunters got to ruin a good thing by "blabbering their jaws" to others. Well, any advice would be most appreciated. Any stuff that i MUST have? I just got my 12 gauge and planned on purchasing a call when the time comes.

I know most people set up a blind and have decoys and all the works.. but unless I join up with a few that have these things. I won't be able to have that luxury.

6ANUT, I would appreciate any advice/information you would be willing to give up and if you ever feel so generous to take someone under your wing (pun intended); I would be honored.

Thanks hoss. Yeah, it would be nice. I tell ya, it's a hard time trying to get started into hunting at an older age .. haha. If you are considered "youth" then there are tons of opportunities. Dang shame that all the beginning hunters got to ruin a good thing by "blabbering their jaws" to others. Well, any advice would be most appreciated. Any stuff that i MUST have? I just got my 12 gauge and planned on purchasing a call when the time comes.

I know most people set up a blind and have decoys and all the works.. but unless I join up with a few that have these things. I won't be able to have that luxury.

12 cheap mallard decoys, a box of 3" # 3's and a shotgun. Don't get a call just yet, it's kinda like a kid learning to downhill ski and they don't give them poles, it'll just hurt you or someone around you!

Agree with no duck call ^ It will only hurt if you can't run it properly. If I'm ever in view of others, 95% of the time when I hear them call, the ducks flare away simultaneously. There are too many people out blowing on a call who can't talk duck. Full disclosure: I'm barely seeing the true benefits from calling after several years of practice and over a hundred days in the field. Steep learning curve for most, maybe I'm wrong and you're a natural. Arizona's typically bluebird duck weather doesn't help with calling either. Make up for no calling with as much motion in the water as possible (jerk rigs), with NO motion in the blind.

I wouldn't buy a dozen mallards as my first set of decoys, too many others doing the same thing. 18 wigeon and teal take up as much space (or less) as a dozen mallards, and you look different, and real. Instead of a hen mallard call get a duck whistle, very easy to sound like teal and wigeon, just don't over do it. Take a look at some photos of good days shooting ducks here in AZ, larger portions of the bag are wigeon, teal, and gadwall. We aren't in Kansas anymore, aviatortony! JK, good luck out there.

Here a couple other threads on this site with some good info.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/43637-duck-hunting-etiquette/

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/52188-duck-dummy/

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/44862-frustrated-with-ducks/

• Like 3

I agree with pursuit on the learning curve but take it a step farther. We shoot 500-600 ducks a year in ND and have been for 25 years and I've never owned a duck call, and never will. Duck calls work really good for call manufacturers and that's about it. Widgeon make a lot of noise so a whistle will help with them, but short of that they just provide something to do to further flare ducks that already weren't interested. Spend your money on gas and vacation time instead of calls. You'll kill way more ducks.

• Like 2

Awesome you guys, thanks for the information. I'll be reading up on it every chance I get. Now, being that its waterfowl, its pretty much implied that I'm going to need some chest waters or some type of boat to retrieve these quackers? Depending on the type of water source and depth..

Even if you had a boat, eventually, waders are a must. I prefer stocking foot vs. booted. Whatever is comfortable and warm to you.

Well, I'm just trying to gauge whether its even possible to duck hunt because I should be able to afford a decent pair of waders but I don't think a boat will be practical with my finances. Might be able to borrow one from a buddy if I ask around and get lucky.

As far as warmth goes, I'm not too worried.. as long as I don't get soaked I'll be comfortable. I seem to always "run hot" ... haha

I'm the guy that everyone notices wearing shorts all year long :D

You don't need a boat to hunt ducks in AZ. Lots of wadable water out there.

I'll leave the rest of your thread for its original intent. Hopefully someone will team up with you, I would but I know it's just not in the cards this year. Feel free to send me a pm if you want to ask any other questions.

• Like 1

Tony, give me a call later tonight and I will tell you about a few places in our area you can try!

FYI, the best time for ducks is usually later in the year. Not always, but usually! Most people head north for the early month's of the season.

Adam

• Like 3

Send me a Pm and I will give you some pond jumping advice like I am pretty sure Adam is going to do over the phone. Unless you have a proven flyway in AZ I wouldn't worry much about decoys or calls. Some ponds will hold tons of ducks one day and the next day nothing.

Id have to disagree with some people on calling birds in over decoys but that's here nor there. I have had tons of success calling them into decoys. If Im not calling, I seem to get yelled at by my brother and best friend. As stated above if you don't know how to blow a call then don't use it in the field. My dad sounds like a couple of back alley cats getting it on.

Lastly, who needs waiters or boat when you can have a 4 legged friend do it. We went out this weekend and gave Cali some work.

post-8664-0-40408900-1437413325_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the support guys! I'll send you a pm 6anut soon.Hopefully I get one or two hunters to team up with but if not .. I shall fly solo!