PRDATR

Personal Observation About Paddle Boards, Or Whatever You Call Them

Today at Woods Canyon Lake I witnessed three different people on these. Yeah I get it, it's the latest fad and all the rage. Each person also had a kid about 4 or 6 on the front of the board. With no PFD. Now I am certain that this is so new that USCG does not have anything in the regs about it but it is pretty disturbing to see a kid under 12 in a kayak or boat right next to them with kids wearing them and a child in the middle of a 40' deep lake without one on.

• Like 4

Just got back from North Dakota where the relatives have a house on a lake, we had 4 kids under the age of 7. The rule was you don't go on the boat dock without a PFD, just makes sense. Having kids on rafts, boats, or anything in the lake without them is asking for trouble. Some people shouldn't breed.

• Like 2

There are laws, it's a watercraft, no different than any other paddle operated boat. Even adults on them have to have a pfd on the boat.

Anyone putting a kid on one without a pfd deserves more than a ticket.

• Like 2

Now maybe someone can clarify this. I carry a life jacket on my kayak. I don't think I'll ever need it but it's there just in case and doubles as added back support and a soft seat when on shore.

I've been told by multiple people kayaks don't require one. What's the rule?

As for my 7-year-old daughter, she has one on always when she's with me. She can't swim well enough to save herself if something were to happen to me.

What happened to common sense?

• Like 3

Pretty sure a PFD is required for every person onboard any watercraft, boats, jet skis, kayaks, whatever. I always have one strapped on my kayak.

Not an expert at all, but I thought the law was anyone under 12 had to have a life vest on (boating, or any type of watercraft). As for the adult law. Every person in the vessel has to have a life jacket, just not necessarily wearing it.

I know in my sit in hard side kayak, I wouldn't be able to get it out of the back compartment if there was an incident, but most of the time, that's where mine resides.

** I have my 6yr old put on his vest at top of boat ramp every single time and it stays on till his butt is back in vehicle.

~~Courtesy Arizona Game & Fish Department~~

All vessels except sailboards and certain racing shells or rowing skulls must have at least one wearable Type I, II, III or V life jacket that is U.S. Coast Guard (USCG)-approved and of the proper size for each person on board.

All life jackets must be in good and serviceable condition and must be readily accessible.

In addition to the above requirements, vessels 16 feet in length or longer, except a canoe or kayak, must have one Type IV USCG-approved throwable floatation device on board and readily accessible.USCG Approved Floatation Devices - USCG Type I USCG Type II USCG Type III USCG Type IV USCG Type V

All children 12 years of age and younger must wear a USCG approved Type I, II, III life jacket while underway on any vessel. The life jacket must be fastened according to the manufacturer's recommended use and must fit the child properly.

Each person on a personal watercraft such as a jet ski must wear a USCG approved Type I, II, III life jacket and all closures must be fastened and secured according to the manufacturer's design or recommended use and must be adjusted for a snug fit.

Each person being towed behind a vessel on water skis or a similar device must wear a life jacket or buoyant belt. Note, however, that buoyant belts are not approved by the USCG.

• Like 1

Crazy you even need those rules. Who wouldn't put a quality life jacket on their kids?

I used to sell common sense for $5 a pound, now I can't give that stuff away!

• Like 3

Crazy you even need those rules. Who wouldn't put a quality life jacket on their kids?

I used to sell common sense for $5 a pound, now I can't give that stuff away!

Right...