Sign in to follow this  
maximus

Trophy Rooms

"That had to be one heck of a time for the 4 month hunt!!!! That sounds like my kind of party!!!!" It was a hunt that will never be repeated. Jack O'Connor and a couple of his friends arranged everything for Prince Abdorreza, who went non-stop from camp-to-camp across the continent. His outfitters/guides had pre-scouted and had record-class rams, bulls and bucks "waiting." In some cases, the animals were inside national parks (such as in Nevada where his two desert rams were taken). His two Coues deer were shot in the Santa Ritas in January, guided by George Parker with assistance of the AZGFD. If you want to read more about it, get a copy of my "Royal Quest," which Safari Press carries. It also tells how the prince hunted all over the world as the guest of countries that wanted Iran's oil. He had no guide for his Siberian tiger but he plenty of experience hunting tigers in India (he shot 13 Bengal tigers on one trip) and used the North Korean Army as beaters. Writing that book made me realize that money is all one needs to be a "great hunter," a term he used a lot to describe himself, Jack O'Connor, C.J. McElroy, Jay Mellon and a very few others. Bill Quimby

I just as much fun hunting yotes , its the thrill of the case, un like Cecil the pet

i can't figure being so shallow as to hunt just to shoot and stuff animals. the hunt is where the joy of hunting is. just being out there in country with a good rifle and maybe some folks you care about. these guys that need beaters and a posse and a lodge and gourmet cooking every meal really don't understand what American hunting is about. i don't know how you put up with guys like that iranian bill. i know i couldn't o' done it. all i need is my boys and my .270. Lark.

• Like 2

I caught a 21 inch 5+ lb small-mouth bass at the black river when I was 17 years old, My dad made $21k that year with 8 children. I froze it and saved for almost a year before I could get it mounted. For me it is a fond memory of that fishing trip with my family. Since then I mount many of my animals, I love to be reminded everyday I see them on the wall. Thats why i have a wall full of dink bulls and bucks.

• Like 4

Lark:

Nearly all of the two dozen or so international hunters for whom I've written books have been self-made nice guys who made their fortunes by taking risks that paid off early in their lives. Most were humble, too. The prince and another Iranian expatriate were not nice guys nor were they humble. (It must be an Iranian thing.)

After working closely with the prince for nearly three weeks on two trips to Florida I still was expected to call him "your highness." Guides, outfitters, and booking agents who could not produce high-in-the-record-book trophies for him were "crooks" and he wanted me to say so in my book. He wasn't happy that I would not and did not.

I was able to get along with him because he paid me to be his biographer.

After hunting everything in North America, wealthy hunters turn to Africa, then Asia, and then everywhere else and become "collectors" along the way. Before they die, they have hunted nearly everything that can walk, crawl, fly, or swim on six continents and a hundred countries.

Funny thing, none of my clients is/was a gun nut. Even though they can afford enough rifles to outfit an army, none of them owns more than two or three rifles. Rifles were are shovels for them, mere tools. Once they find calibers that work, they stay with them. For most, those calibers are 7mm Rem Mag or .300 Weatherby and .458 Winchester.

An exception is a client from Alaska who shoots a 7mm RUM and a .416 Rem Mag.

Bill Quimby

i think i want everbody to call me your highness from now on. you buncha inbred, webfooted banjo plunkers got that? from now it's "YOUR HIGHNESS, SIR"! Lark.

i think i want everbody to call me your highness from now on. you buncha inbred, webfooted banjo plunkers got that? from now it's "YOUR HIGHNESS, SIR"! Lark.

I don't think so :P

A few years back, I went to the museum in Tucson. I don't recall the hunter, but by the time I was done looking at his trophies, I felt like he over did it. It was obvious that he didn't have much else to do!

A few years back, I went to the museum in Tucson. I don't recall the hunter, but by the time I was done looking at his trophies, I felt like he over did it. It was obvious that he didn't have much else to do!

never to much of a good thing. Wish I didn't have to much to do but hunt.