Sign in to follow this  
maximus

Trophy Rooms

"And a ton of sawed off antlers from previous kills of WT and Mulie killed during my many years of hunting in a garage cabinet."

--------------------

This is a first. I've never known anyone who hunts deer in a garage cabinet.

-------------

As for big trophy rooms, I've seen a heck of a lot of them all over this country but a guy for whom I wrote a book about ten years ago has no fewer than three huge rooms in his 33,000 square foot ranch house about two hours from Mexico City.

One room has a huge mountain with a waterfall for his 75-100 lifesize mounts of mountain game from six continents. His African room has every conceivable African antelope from duiker to roan, plus all of the Big Five, including a pride of six or seven lions, and zebras and warthogs. The other room and his hallways are filled with some 200 mounts of nearly every species and subspecies of deer in the world.

He may be the only hunter with entries in virtually every category in the SCI record books.

When I asked him how many lifesize mounts he had, he said more than 300. That was a long time ago, and I suppose he's added at least 30 or 40 more.

Bill Quimby

Bill, He must have as much money as You. That would be something to see.................BOB!

Bill, He must have as much money as You. That would be something to see.................BOB!

...................I can only wish my wife and I had 1/1,000,000,000th of his net worth. Before he sold his many businesses, he had a total monopoly on importing, manufacturing and sales of everything having to do with fire=fighting in Mexico, from the valves on the ceilings of office buildings to fire hoses to firefighter's apparel to chemicals to fire trucks to who knows what else.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

When I have that kind of money I will have a room just like them except all the critters will be from north America or new Zealand. African animals don't do anything for me.

I love seeing what rich guys do with their money, its inspiration to work harder and smarter!!

• Like 3

There are fewer than thirty different North American big game animals and no more than a dozen introduced animals in New Zealand that are of interest to big game hunters who do have "that kind of money," 208muley.

All whom I know in that class have hunted at least 100 different types of animals from fifty or more countries on six continents.

Just don't overlook Asia when you win the lottery and become filthy rich. It has more different types of deer, antelope, sheep and goats than all other continents combined.

Bill Quimby

• Like 2

Mr Quimby,

What was the most interesting/memorable animal you saw in those trophy rooms?

Fred

• Like 1

"Mr Quimby, What was the most interesting/memorable animal you saw in those trophy rooms? Fred"

-----------Most impressive: A Marco Polo argali with six feet of horn on each side.

-----------Most beautiful: A lifesize mount of a bongo.

-----------Most interesting: Lifesize mounts of some of the little-known deer from around the world, such as the 500-pound white-lipped deer of the Tibetan Plateau (it reminds me of an elk); the various brocket deer and huemels of South America; the antlerless Chinese water deer; and the tiny mouse deer (which really isn't a deer) of Asia and Africa.

-----------Most memorable: A full mount of a red deer from Scotland. I stopped counting its tines when I reached 24 on one side of its antlers.

Darn. I wish this site wouldn't run my paragraphs together.

Bill Quimby

• Like 3

"Mr Quimby, What was the most interesting/memorable animal you saw in those trophy rooms? Fred"-----------Most impressive: A Marco Polo argali with six feet of horn on each side.-----------Most beautiful: A lifesize mount of a bongo.-----------Most interesting: Lifesize mounts of some of the little-known deer from around the world, such as the 500-pound white-lipped deer of the Tibetan Plateau (it reminds me of an elk); the various brocket deer and huemels of South America; the antlerless Chinese water deer; and the tiny mouse deer (which really isn't a deer) of Asia and Africa. -----------Most memorable: A full mount of a red deer from Scotland. I stopped counting its tines when I reached 24 on one side of its antlers.Darn. I wish this site wouldn't run my paragraphs together.Bill Quimby

Very cool Bill.

There are fewer than thirty different North American big game animals and no more than a dozen introduced animals in New Zealand that are of interest to big game hunters who do have "that kind of money," 208muley.

All whom I know in that class have hunted at least 100 different types of animals from fifty or more countries on six continents.

Just don't overlook Asia when you win the lottery and become filthy rich. It has more different types of deer, antelope, sheep and goats than all other continents combined.

Bill Quimby

I hear what your saying. There might be a couple critters in asia that may perk my interest . But my stance is I would rather have a room full of north american critters and maybe a few red stag and tahr thrown in for good measure than to hunt Africa. Please don't misunderstand what I am saying as I do not look badly at those that hunt Africa Asia or anywhere else in the world for that matter. In fact I respect em for it! But for me north American game is where it's at.

I don't play the lottery I'm just gonna work hard and earn it despite what the government does to try and stop me! Lol

Bill Quimby

I hear what your saying. There might be a couple critters in asia that may perk my interest . But my stance is I would rather have a room full of north american critters and maybe a few red stag and tahr thrown in for good measure than to hunt Africa. Please don't misunderstand what I am saying as I do not look badly at those that hunt Africa Asia or anywhere else in the world for that matter. In fact I respect em for it! But for me north American game is where it's at.

I don't play the lottery I'm just gonna work hard and earn it despite what the government does to try and stop me! Lol

I'm in the same boat. I have little or no desire to hunt Africa. At least not as long as there's so many animals in the states that I've yet to harvest. Although with the luck I'm having drawing elk and antelope tags, it's probably alot faster/easier to fly over there and shoot some critters than it is to wait it out here. Not to mention the way they keep raising tag prices, it'll soon be cost competitive as well.

As I said earlier, there are fewer than 30 North American "critters" to hunt, depending upon who does the counting. If you have enough money, it shouldn't take more than four to six years to collect all of them.

I know one guy who shot all 30 in three years. The brother of the shah of Iran shot two each of 21 different North American species including two Grand Slams of wild sheep (a total of 40 animals) on one four-month trip as the guest of the U.S. State Department. He had diplomatic immunity and could hunt whenever and wherever he wanted.

If Africa doesn't interest you, there is nothing like Asia. You could spend the rest of your life just trying to collect specimens of all of its huntable species.

Incidentally, in New Zealand, those really big red deer are found only in Texas-style enclosures. Tahr are hunted behind high wire fences, too, but they also can be hunted free-range with the help of helicopters. They're spotted, you land and go after them. Both originated from transplants from Europe and Asia.

Although I hunted both red deer and tahr plus chamois, sika deer, wild boar and feral goat in New Zealand, I would have arranged to have hunted all of them in their native lands if I were rich.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

That had to be one heck of a time for the 4 month hunt!!!! That sounds like my kind of party!!!!

Thanks for your viewpoint Bill, it's always cool to hear what you have to say on these type of subjects!

Would be nice to have that kind of money but honestly could think of a gazzillion other things to spend it on than a show room, but that is probably cause I am just hoping to get all the days off I want for a lowly archery elk hunt in Unit 1 :(

Pretty cool they can do that kind of hunting.....