apache12

Imr 4350 in 30-06 just average

Thanks Bill I understan about moa being acceptable. My complaint is that factory ammo shot better in this rifle and I've tried a number of powder charges with random results off a rest and also just off a bag

Think I'll tinker with seat depth a bit

If that were the case I'd try to duplicate factory loads and then tweak from there.

Factory rifle savage 111 with laminated stock and accutrigger

Vortex 4-16x44 BDC

Not going to dump any money in the rifle. Ive seen it shoot well for years

It's truly my hand loading that must be this issue. I'm carful to measure charge and seated bullet depth. So it's just my playing with it some more

I intend to use it for over counter bear Oct 2. Have a nice spot with some activity so hoping to dial in for a 300 yrs accurate shot

I would think about ladder test but gosh with this heat it could take to long to accomplish waiting for barrel to cool

I bought some 4451 imr I'm going to try

If you have a Savage 111 you are loading from the clip/mag so your seating depth as far as how long they can go is limited. I use IMR 4350 in three different calibers including a 30-06 and it shoots lights out. I know that you just started reloading so another thing that might be happening is that the IMR 4350 is a stick powder and it might be hanging up in your thrower causing a short/over on your charges, which will reflect so on paper when you shoot. Try loading up about twenty rounds measuring each charge and try that. An inch group out of a factory gun that has had nothing done to it is cause for rejoicing! Sometimes with a factory gun factory loads can't be out done with hand loads, but you never know until you try. Just my two Abe's tossed in.

When you say "they load a bit tight" I am assuming you meen the bolt is a little stiff to close when chambering a round. If that's the case, you need to screw your die down to bump the shoulder back a little more. A slight "crush" fit is good for brass life but not what you want with a hunting rifle. I would switch up the powder and try something different. I like the Hodgdon Extreme series of powders as they are less temp sensitive than most others.

Forget the book listings for OAL. You are making custom rounds for your gun, so using generic measurements doesn't make sense. Get a Hornady OAL gauge and figure out the dimensions of "your" chamber. If you can load to that dimension and still fit in your mag/ internal box then start there. If they dont fit, load 3 dummy rounds and continue to seat them deeper till you get reliable cycling. Start your load development based on powder charge and when you find one you like, seat the bullets deeper 0.005" at a time to fine tune.

Load development can be quick and painless or be long and a pain in the a$$. It comes with the territory. Good luck.

EDIT: Your rounds will also chamber hard from your bullets being seated too far out. Chamber a round and eject it and make sure there are no grooves or marks on the bullet from contacting the lands.

Cheaper and a fun hobby. And in e end I'll find the right load that will shoot the exact bullet I want better than factory.

I'm using imr 4831 out of my Remington 700 30-06 with amazing results!