Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Having issue with sierra hpbt feeding unless seated very deep

So is this rifle or bullet design

I have a tc venture in 243. Nothing fancy but this rifle shoot so well it's just amazing

I've always shot factory hornady sst or my boys have I should say. They've taken two deer and pig

anyway I bought some Sierra 85 grn hpbt to load up my first hand loads for this caliber

I measured the overal length with my hornady tool and the. Backed off .015 and .030

Loaded a dummy. Round to check feed from the magazine and when I cycled the round would hit the wall below chamber and stop

I went and shortened and same thing

I checked my factory sst and it cycled fine

Is eared the siera the same length has factory and same thing it the wall

I should say if I feed with out magazine all bullets fit fine they weren't to long

So I kept shortening the Sierra and same thing. It's now rediculouly deep and I'm concerned with pressure difference

I know the sst and Sierra have a different ogive and that's part of it but this is strange

Should I avoid a max load a bullet seated so deep?

By the way even with the seating depth in pic it has to double cycle bolt to feed

post-5454-0-37450300-1440954310_thumb.jpg

Not sure what you are trying to say. If the round fits inside the magazine and travels up and down freely, the length is not your issue. The length of the cartridge only matters for fitting in the magazine in most cases when talking about factory chambers.

It sounds like the feed ramp (or lack of one) is what is giving you problems with the wide meplat of the hollow point.

Remember to always work up to max loads.

Holy cow...

Pull that thing...

Are you saying a loaded cartridge wouldn't chamber so you kept seating bullet deeper? If so, you didn't fl size all the way and your shoulder is too far forward.

I'm still not sure what issue you are having but that bullet it way too deep...

I may not have described it right

The cartridge doesn't ever make intonthe barrel

The tip hits right below the barrel and stops

I sized with a full size die

Detachable magazine or blind mag? If it's a detachable mag it could be that the magazine is not fully seated into place. Make sure it is seated square and that it snaps into place.

could be me and the pic angle but the two pieces of brass look different in the shoulder/neck area. shoulder looks shorter in the factory brass and neck looks longer.

I have found in the past if factory ammo loads just fine in your rifle and reloads dont load fine...its almost always the brass is the problem...check the specs on the brass vs specs on the factory brass

So I just went a bought hornady sst 95 grn and loaded into e same set of brass that I loaded the sierra in and it cycles smooth as glass

So strange

I had trimmed and measured brass sized full length and the rifle will cycle ballistic tip fine and not cycle sierra hpbt

To confirm I pulld the Sierra bullet and didn't resize and loaded a hornady sst in it and it chamber perfectly

Sounds like a bad design on the feed ramp. Have you put a bore light in the chamber with the bolt removed to see where the bullet hits?

To confirm I pulld the Sierra bullet and didn't resize and loaded a hornady sst in it and it chamber perfectly

Yep, there is likely a "too square" area that is hanging up on that wide meplat of the hollow point. If its a detachable mag with metal feed lips you may be able to adjust the lips just right so the cartridge feeds with a more nose up attitude. Doesn't take much to make a big difference.

I have not put a light in. That makes sense I will.

I think the rifle is he issue. I had issue with it a few years back where the magazine would feed poorly. I sent it back for that recall and they corrected it

The bolt is also a little stiff

It's a temperamental rifle for sure. But of e seven rifles I own this one could be the most accurate with any ammo.

I keep thinking i should sell it and then I shoot it and stop thinking that

So I called sierra today and talked to the, about my issue

They said that it sounds like the ogive is to high and the bullet won't feed well. He then said he wouldn't recimmend it for a hunt round but I had read it was good. Anyway strange issue. I ink part gun part bullet