Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

Question about Bird Dogs

My wife goes crazy with ours. They (4 of them) sleep on our bedroom floor. I get up at 3:00-3:30 every morning, and as soon as I toss the sheets back, they are ready to go.

My 1 1/2 year old is crated in the kitchen. He still hears the sheets tossed and goes apeshoot while I'm getting ready. He's figured out how to scoot his crate until he can see me come into the kitchen! Once we are done with his morning run then he is good for most of the day!

He drives my wife crazy but neither of us would ever trade it.

• Like 1

Labs are shedding machines and Britts will start shaking nervously if you keep eye contact for more than a few seconds. They shed quite a bit too.

Haha what britts have you been around that get nervous like that?

Love my Britt. She is hyper but not nearly as much as my sons GSP. She also has very good recall in the field and ranges out just right but that's good genes and training. I'm glad my son suggested a Britt, and this came after he had his GSP.

Cant beat a Lab for ducks but if you hunt quail you should get a pointer of some sort.

I am a lab guy. If you go with a lab get the book "water dog" . I used it and had great results with my last lab. The dog could do it all. He wouldn't hunt or point quail but would stay on heal till I brought the gun to shoulder and watch a bird fall then retrieve without command. I wanted it that way for cripples but he wouldn't break on ducks or doves till I sent him. Awesome house dog and VERY tolerant of kids or babies even when he ate. They do shed a bunch but the upside of a good lab is worth a little hair IMO. Good luck with picking out a new buddy....

If you ever go pointers get a Visial. Look identical to a GSP but with a light chocolate pure color coat. They are also known as the homebody pointer. They are happy where ever you are at. They are ever so slightly smaller than a GSP and there ears are slightly bigger than a GSP and less crazy than a GSP. But both are beautiful dogs