Sign in to follow this  
Huntnchick

Archery 27????

Anyone have any idea why only unit 27 is not in the rut?

My husband has been there with 2 buddies with tags as well as both of us, and NOTHING!!!!!!

What the crap! I am sitting at home with the kids while 6 days in they have gotten no where! They have both hunted successfully in the rut this same unit in 2012. And then they hunted 3b and now are back to 27.

Anyone have any ideas why 27 is not in the rut but 20 miles out of the unit, they called in numerous Bulls just for fun? This was in unit 1 and 3b and an area in New Mexico on the drive to a spot today.

Why? Or do we just have to be patient?

The rut will happen. The fire has kinda weirded things up in 27. Hunt wallows for a few days. The last 4 days of archery season are the best anyway. Need too get outta camp around 2 am and listen. Then be moved in with the herd before first light. Lark.

• Like 3

27 can be tough, because there really aren't very many cows there, and a lot of the few that are in 27 migrate over to unit 1 in the rut, as do bulls. they like to rut in the flatter, easier to negotiate country. find areas where the country is a little easier, cows don't like living in the nasty canyons and burns like the bulls do, and the bulls will be near the cows.

• Like 1

The rut will happen. The fire has kinda weirded things up in 27. Hunt wallows for a few days. The last 4 days of archery season are the best anyway. Need too get outta camp around 2 am and listen. Then be moved in with the herd before first light. Lark.

+1 the big meadows will have bulls in em. Get up early, listen, try to figure where they are gonna move outta the meadow, sit a wait and hope you picked the right spot.
  • Like 1

Agreed ^^^^^^ I wish I was that lucky just got back from Colorado it was slow this year 1st time in three years we didn't fill a tag

Settle down huntnchick that's why they call it hunting, its nit just walk out and shot something, they need to hunt harder and complain less. My opinion only

• Like 2

I'm hearing the same report from a coworker. They are heading back on Saturday. It's looking like the trophy rifle tag is the one to have this year.

Thanks for all your advice guys! We were just confused as to why it was so different in 27 vs the surrounding areas.

This is going to be the first time in 3 years that we are away from our kids together... So you can see why I was hoping to be up hunting and not at home. My parents are leaving Tuesday morning so if the rut doesn't get started by then... Well then we take our kids and don't get to hunt together.

Anyways my husband had put in for 11 years before he and his buddy got the 27 tag. The next year his buddy got 3b, the next year I drew 3b, and then this year all 3 of us put in separate and drew 27. I have no idea why it worked out like this. I gave birth to our son a month exactly before my hunt last year so it was very difficult to have a newborn and hunt.

Well I hope my husband and I get to hunt together this year! So I do hope this rut picks up so we can.

no sure why you can only hunt together if the rut has picked up? did i miss something?

• Like 1

OP , what makes you think the rut is started everywhere else. It seems these days that when hunters start hearing a few bugles and seeing a few bulls moving cows the rut is on, it is not ... Everywhere is pretty much pre-rut including 27... and every day you will see activity pick up until it explodes. Dropping temps and the upcoming full moon will have it in swing through most of the state in the the next couple weeks, but be patient and enjoy the hunt.

• Like 1

its pretty bad this year, we are still finding bulls and cows alone, still in the early pre-rut

This post has been seen every year since this site went up ... BAD YEAR , really ? Traditionally the Rut usually gets into full swing in late Sept. to Early October and there is plenty of pre-rut activity in most units right now going on ... seems like pretty par for the course.

• Like 4