Sign in to follow this  
PhxDT

1997 Coleman Popup Camper ABS Roof

I have the infamous ABS roof from Coleman. I took the plastic off the top and I am going to apply the grizzly grip coat to finalize. I do have 3" of deflection, or drop in the center. The roof appears to be made of plastic and high density foam- nothing else (unless someone knows to the contrary).

Is it worth trying to raise the ceiling to fix this, or should I just add more foam on top to smooth this out? Any other advice would be very appreciated. I need to fill in some holes with replacement foam as well. Lots of work, but worth it! I am taking this bull elk hunting this winter.

post-13295-0-62086800-1443749429_thumb.jpg

post-13295-0-39409700-1443749434_thumb.jpg

I should also add that one idea I read was to strap down the edges and then put a jig in the center and jack up the center from inside. not sure if it'll stay, since it seems to have years of sagging and afraid it is permanent.

That is the roof that sunk Coleman trailer company. Look up info at popupportal.com The best pop up tent info site I know of.

Thanks guys. I have poked around that site some (that is where I got the idea to rip off the old cover), but was curious about a method to raise this roof internally. Lots of creative DYI'ers on this site.

I had bought a '98 Coleman Westlake with that roof design. It started sagging within the first year. If I remember, the plastic was splitting on the sides. Way too much span for that design. Coleman (Little Dealer) replaced it free, with the upgrade design, and also put the A/C support bar across the inside. No issues for as long as I had it. Not sure what the new top would cost. Might be worth it if you plan to keep the trailer. A couple of the cross bars might offer the support you need on this roof. They fit on the underneath, from one side to the other and have an upward arc against the roof. The ends bolt through the roof. They are designed for support of an A/C unit.

Maybe cut a long span of ribs out of a light wood like fir and fit them below the plastic. Make an arch top to hold the shape of the roof for shedding water. Screw it through the top with stainless screws and lay a layer of fiberglass over the whole top and paint it.

An option to Ringers approach... If it is structurally sound fill the void with foam sheets from Home Depot. Easy to shape, screw and glue. Very light weight. Then Fiberglass over.

love the ideas (except the short pier one- ha). I'll be assessing this weekend.

If its polyprpylene then you can heat it with a torch and pop it back into shape.

• Like 1

Ok here is my suggestion...Top is getting old and sagging? Victoria's Secret push up.