Sign in to follow this  
lionhunter

Leupold cds question

I am considering having the dcs dial/ turret added to a leupold scope that has bc reticle. I would like some input from some of you that have it on a rifle now. How repeatable is the dcs? Ever have the dial turn on accident? Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks

Whitey

Honestly I would stick with a MOA turret. If you ever change your load or move up or down in elevation you can just adjust the amount of clicks you need.

• Like 1

My experience is limited to one cds scope with dials cut for 2 loads. You would probably have more flexibility with standard MOA turrets. The cds forces you to get pretty fussy with load development. You are locked in to performance under one set of conditions, which in reality, probably covers quite a bit of changes in elevation and temp. but it won't be exact. You do need good chron. data. I like the zero-stop feature, and have not had any problem with the elev. turret moving.

Sometimes the tics don't line up exactly between the turret and base. This liked to drove me crazy at first. Also, you may not have an exact and consistent number of tics between main yardage settings, in other words, between one setting your increments may end up being an odd number of yards, 12, or 14 or whatever, instead of 4 ea. at 25, or 5 ea. at 20. These are minor issues unless you are shooting clay birds at 500 yds. Overall the system works well, and is more or less foolproof once you get used to it. I do not dial for windage. That is way too complicated and time consuming for hunting, unless you know (or have someone with you who knows) how to read mirage. If you get some trigger time at different yardages in say a 10 mph full-value wind, you will get an idea how much your bullet is going to move. For example, with my main load, I know that a 10 mph wind will move my poi 18" at 600 yds. (This does not mean it will be 9" at 300 yds.) You will have to shoot through the different conditions and see what the changes are, and then memorize them or print and paste them onto your stock if you want to use the hold-off method.

You may do well to research the Leupold custom shop options. At one time, you could get parallax collimated to your desired yardage for only $10. Believe this requires purchase through the custom shop - not a problem. I had them set my parallax at 400 yds. and it is much more useful than the standard setting of 150 yds.

forepaw

I had a CDS MOA dial retrofitted by Leupold to my Vari X 3 2.5-8 a few years ago. I have been very happy with it and the zero stop feature for hunting. No issues with accidental turning including extended backpack hunts where it was strapped to the pack on the way in and out. Like the low profile as compared to the M1 knob. I had the parallax re-set to the longer distance as well.

Standard duplex and elevation turret in mils or 1/4 moa only way to fly.

You don't have to be locked into anything. Find a load, plug in data, shoot stuff....

I tend to agree. As I mentioned, MOA turrets are probably the most flexible, provided you do most of your zeroing and hunting under pretty much the same conditions. One friend (who is a more advanced shooter than me) keeps 2 cds dials cut for the same rifle, same load but different conditions - one is for 85 deg. F. at 2000' elev. (where he lives and practices) and the other is 35 deg. F. at 9000' elev. (where he hunts elk in CO). All I know is, it seems to work. The guy kills elk at long range pretty consistently.

Cds dials don't stick out like turrets, and they don't change position when being pushed or pulled into a case or scabbard (generally speaking), and you don't have to worry about whether or not your return to zero is the same every time. If your target changes position after you shoot, you don't have to range, pull out your folded sheet of data and reset your turret. You just range, reach up and twist to the new yardage. Better if you're in the middle of a case of buck fever!

If you use a smart phone with ballistic app. and wind meter, then that is a different story, however, the time required to become really proficient goes up substantially. Where I live, there is some sort of long range rifle competition almost every weekend. What I have noticed is a lot of people have electronic devices and gizmos, but they don't seem to hit targets with any more regularity than the more traditional shooters. And the guys who win the matches are usually old codgers with thick glasses and a printout with their load data. The main difference is they can read the wind (or have a spotter who can).

forepaw

• Like 1

I had Leopold retrofit the CDS turret on my vari-x 3 about 3years ago and I will never go back. When you order a custom cds turret they also give you a separate none custom MOA turret for any load witch is super cool. So you get two turret for the price of one. I think I payed $60. My load with the BC of the bullet and velocity and 100yrd zero the turret goes out to 850yrds witch I'll never shoot that far. It has a low profile on the scope not like them tactical turrets. I've never had one move on me and I beat the bush plus it has a zero stop. Hope that helps

• Like 1

It's not a big deal if they turn there numbered and have a stop so you will always now where your at. Pretty idiot proof Even for me! Haha...

CDS turrets will turn in a pack. Happened to me twice. Never had an M1 turn.

Was this in one of the scabbard type packs like an Eberlestock? Just curious as I have never had this issue with my rifle strapped to the side of my Mystery Ranch 6500 or Longbow bags.