Havasuhunter

G1 deer hunt turned in wild hog hunt.

Had a G1 tag for Northern CA. It's a migration hunt and it was way too hot for the deer to migrate out of Lassen National Park. Hunted hard for local deer for 4 days. Glassed up a bunch of does, but neither of us could connect with a buck. Switched gears today and salvaged my trip with a nice wild hog. Good sized spotted sow. Also killed a coyote so my 270 could draw first blood. At least i'm heading home with an ice chest full of pork.

post-12572-0-33619500-1446077966_thumb.jpeg

post-12572-0-74672500-1446078031_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

Guest akaspecials

If California hogs are anything like Texas hogs, you just killed yourself a hundred pounds of the best meat on earth!

I'd rather have a hog any day.

Nice job!

I missed a hog like that on my only California hunt. My buddy had already shot at another one so it was moving, all I made it do was dance faster. :P

We saw 10 pigs and a really nice buck today. My buddy has access to a great property. Saw about 20 turkeys too.

• Like 3

Bucket list critter right there! Nice job salvaging some meat on a tough hunt! PM me if you don't mind sharing any leads on hog hunts.

There is decent pig hunting on public land, but most is on private land. Tehama county on BLM land near the Sac river gives you a decent opportunity at wild hogs. I would surely combine it with a deer hunt though to maximize travel time and chance of success. Either that or go during spring Turkey, a Salmon run or some other season. Betting on wild hogs on public land is a tough one.

Brian

• Like 1

no hogs in AZ, I presume?