Sign in to follow this  
Hanksaiditbest

Howa 1500?

I am looking into setting up a new rifle and would like to shoot at some further distances. 5-600 yds would be ideal and don't need much more than that. I am looking at the howa 1500 and for the price, they seem to be a good start. I like the feel and weight of the hogue stock and the gun seems to be well made. Has anyone out there had experience with this gun? If so what have you done to it and would you recommend? Still deciding on caliber.

I love mine! I have a howa 1500 in a 300 win mag. I replaced the trigger and installed a thumb hole stock. Shoot sub MOA with HSM 185grn vld. So far she has taken coues deer at 585, 630 and 702 yards. Love that rifle!

• Like 2

I really like Howa's 1500 model in stainless steel. Such a great looking rifle. I've only heard good things about them.

I've been considering it myself, but my savage 111 has been real good to me and not sure if I'm really to replace it.

I bought my wife one in 7mm-08 and I like it even though I am a remy700 guy the trigger is nice I get 1/2" groups with my reloads I like the stock on them

I shoot a Weatherby Vanguard series 1 in 257 weatherby. It is made by Howa and let me tell you I have been very happy with it. It doesn't even have the nicer stock an such of the newer series 2, but it is a shooter. I recently put a Timney trigger in it and it is even better. Other than the trigger it is completely stock.

I have shot multiple groups that are sub-MOA @ 100yards with the rifle before and after the trigger. 1 of my groups right after the trigger was sub-1/2" MOA. I really like the howa/weatherby vanguard.

I have stretched it out to 500 yards a couple times, and even before I dialed the rifle in with good loads and the trigger work I was hitting 8" steel at 500yds pretty regularly. It sounds like it would be a great platform to start with for what you are after.

I had a Howa 1500 Heavy Varmint in .22-250 for a while. Shot just fine, just under MOA with factory Hornady 40 grain V-Max loads. Sold it when times got tight a few years ago. It was a shooter for sure.

I had a factory Vanguard 2 that shot clover leafs on a regular basis with factory Weatherby ammo, my first Vanguard shot just as good with hand loads and a consistent 3/4 in +/- with 180 partitions factory load.

I had the Howa Hogue in 270. The rubberized stock and soft recoil pad helped turn gun shy ex-gf and her sons into shooters. I left the rifle with them so they can continue to fill the freezer after I was gone.

That rifle shot everything I put in it as if it was a custom load for the rifle. Everything. Never had another rifle that was that consistent with all types and brands of ammo.

Smith and Wessongood 1500 is the same gun and does just as good ask hoghntr

Here is my 270 wsm. Installed the Timney trigger, brake, and a bedded Boyd's tactical stock. Shoots like a champ...my favorite big game rifle I have and shoot.

post-3881-0-70170600-1446582533_thumb.jpg