Sign in to follow this  
GreyGhost85

Removing rubber coating from savage stock

Anyone done this? The rubber coating on my LRH is already in bad shape after one hunt and i would like to strip the rubber coating and paint the stock. The gun shoots amazing for a non custom, so i would like to keep the factory stock on it. Any suggestions or experience in doing this?

Call Savage let them know their new stocked capped out after one hunt. Savage in my experience has been great to deal with.

Or drop it into another stock mcmillan, manners, HS precision. Stuck stocks dot com has good selection and prices.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion. Best case scenario, savage sends me a new stock and the rubber coating gets chewed up on that one as well. I am pretty hard on equipment. Don't want to go with a replacement either. I'm sure i am not the only one that has had this issue

Give it a light sanding, primer it and final paint. It should turn out great!

• Like 1

This is a very common problem on the LRH stocks. Best and easiest way is to strip it and paint it as mentioned. But, if you are hard on equipment anyways I would just let it be; no sense in spending the time and effort to paint it up nice just to take it out and scratch the paint off of it.

• Like 1

Give it a light sanding, primer it and final paint. It should turn out great!

This... We did the same to the Tikka stock on my daughters .243 and it took a new fancy paint job no problem.

• Like 1

GreyGhost I had the same problem. I bought The LRH & the day I got it home I peeled the savage stickers off the stock & the rubber coating came with it.

I had intentions on custom painting the stock anyway just not that soon. I sanded the stock with a vibrating sander than cleaned it real good as the rubber coating

gums up on the stock so you need to clean the piss out of it. I primed the stock real good than used textured spray paint than a clear coat for final. the stock came out

awesome & it looks like a custom after market stock. I took it to the gun shop where I had purchased the rifle, and they wanted to know where I got the custom stock

when i told them I did myself they couldn't believe it. If I could figure out to post pics I would. The whole process took about 3 days as I let the primer & paint cure.

maybe have 6 hours total in it.

• Like 2

Maybe have it dipped?

I thought about that, but would still need to get the rubber off. Think I'm gonna sand it off and paint it. Might try to see if any solvents i have would eat it off, but that might turn into a sticky mess

• Like 1