ctafoya

Schedule

I'm trying to find a schedule that works for me to lift. My work schedule takes me all over the country, but I am home every weekend. I have times that I'm home for a month strait, then gone for work for a month. Will hitting the weights once a week do anything? I have everything I need in my garage, and I wont go to a gym. Anyone have the same dilemma as me?

Time is my nemesis. Been trying to find a consistent workout time as well. Doing early mornings now. (Today might be REAL early since I'm up)

Does time of day have any bearing on how your body responds to working out?

• Like 1

In theory late afternoon shows some scientific basis for a "best" time. I can't find the article I just read on this I believe it was on the "Precision Nutrition" site.

My theory any time you can drag your butt over to a weight rack, go for a run or jump rope is the BEST time.

I travel a ton but used to live at the gym and in martial arts training but haven't done jack for the last 2 years. Travel and work will kill a routine and a diet faster than anything. And going back and trying to start over a couple of times a month just makes you sore as heck. I am sneaking up on it now just making sure I get something done every day if I can.

I also struggle with time and don't have a lot of equipment. Just a power tower and a few kettle bells. Just started Insanity Max30. It is a but kicker. It seems like it should be good for getting hunting fit. Doesn't need any equipment and only takes around 30 minutes. I have not made it very far into videos before I need a breather. I also hike with weighted pack as often as I can.

I'm trying to find a schedule that works for me to lift. My work schedule takes me all over the country, but I am home every weekend. I have times that I'm home for a month strait, then gone for work for a month. Will hitting the weights once a week do anything? I have everything I need in my garage, and I wont go to a gym. Anyone have the same dilemma as me?

if you can workout on the weekends you're half way there. i think 4 days of working out (with a combo weights and cardio) is plenty to maintain a good fitness level. so try and find two days if possible. when i travel, i can't count on the hotel to have a good weight system so i just focus my energy on cardio on those days (and maybe abs, etc).

Try P90X. It's absolutely fantastic and you don't need a lot of gear.

Here is what I am kicking around, starting this week. I need to get my butt back in shape enough to have a real goal for the Holidays so I can try and get back into some kind of routine. This bodyweight work out seems to be on a lot of men work out links.

3 sets 12-15 reps, rest between each superset 30 seconds

1ATuck Jump 1BPush-up

2A Squats 2B Mountain climbers

3A Tricep dips 3B Glute bridge (goofy looking chick exercise so I will sub with flags)

4A Jump plank 4B Superman

Cool down with the old cat/cow and some hamstring stretches because sitting at a desk and on airplanes is quickly giving me the posture of quasimoto.

I will add lunges and a little cardio/sprint work. Personally I think the lunges (which suck) are probably the best thing for carrying a pack (lateral and horizontal). Stability when walking seems pretty key.

Writing it down here so I feel some obligation and in case anyone else is looking for reasonable place to get things started.

• Like 1

Well it finally started Monday. Quit drinking new years day and quit eating garbage. No more chips, fast food, and when im full im done no mater how good it is. Since my week started off in a Hotel all I can do is pushups, crunched dips, and the treadmill until I can hit the weights at home this weekend. Not only did I realize how outta shape I am the 6500ft elevation is kicking my butt!! Last time I did this I got an umbilical hernia trying to push too hard too fast. This time nice and slow.

• Like 3

I have the same hernia I just keep pushing it back in. Might have to duct tape it soon

I found the fastest and easiest way to drop pounds and gain some muscle is to severely limit carbs for 8-10 weeks. 20 grams per day max. No sugar, wheat, starch, etc. Eat lots of butter, olive oil, coconut oil, moderate amounts of protein. Lots of veggies. You eat when your hungry and you eat until full.

After your body adapts to burning fat as fuel instead of carbs, you can gradually add back in some things like sweet potatoes, berries, whole oats, almonds, etc.

Fat doesn't make you fat. High blood sugar levels do.

• Like 1

I have the same hernia I just keep pushing it back in. Might have to duct tape it soon

I found the fastest and easiest way to drop pounds and gain some muscle is to severely limit carbs for 8-10 weeks. 20 grams per day max. No sugar, wheat, starch, etc. Eat lots of butter, olive oil, coconut oil, moderate amounts of protein. Lots of veggies. You eat when your hungry and you eat until full.

After your body adapts to burning fat as fuel instead of carbs, you can gradually add back in some things like sweet potatoes, berries, whole oats, almonds, etc.

More than anything, a calorie surplus is what makes you fat, not sugar.

• Like 1

More than anything, a calorie surplus is what makes you fat, not sugar.

I tried telling people this when this sub forum first opened, didn't go that well.

Agreed but sugar us evil and causes so many problems I always so "more power to you" when someone decides to cut out the sugar. And no I am not great at practicing what I preach. :P

I ended up joining a cross fit gym, 2 weeks into it now. I like the work outs by my shoulder is a mess so all the overhead stuff is killing me or not possible on a few days. I will keep pushing and if it doesn't get better I may need to shuffle off to a doctor. Getting old sucks!

Agreed but sugar us evil and causes so many problems I always so "more power to you" when someone decides to cut out the sugar. And no I am not great at practicing what I preach. :P

I ended up joining a cross fit gym, 2 weeks into it now. I like the work outs by my shoulder is a mess so all the overhead stuff is killing me or not possible on a few days. I will keep pushing and if it doesn't get better I may need to shuffle off to a doctor. Getting old sucks!

If it hurts don't do it, no matter what your CF coach tells you. Rest it. Look into shoulder mobility training.