Sign in to follow this  
AZP&Y

Waterline Trail - Kachina Peaks Wilderness

It was time to saddle the packs and dogs and get some summer excercise in the cooler climate of the San Francisco Peaks. The hike started at the Inner Basin Trailhead (elevation 8500) and climbs for roughly 2 miles up to the Waterline Trail. The Waterline Trail (road) is a nice wide traverse along the Kachina Peaks Wilderness. Good views abound, along this area and lots of shaded places and comfortable temperatures. After the first 14 miles, we dropped into Schultz Tank and re-supplied with water that we had cached prior to dropping the vehicle at Snowbowl.

There are some nice natural springs along the Waterline trail, but in the summer of the NON-SOON, it was nice to have good water waiting after a 800 vertical climb and then drop.

The next leg of the hike, another good incline (700 vertical) up the Weatherford Trail and then hooked up with the Kachina Trail , which in my opinion is the the most picturesque and enjoyable.

Now at 9000, the air felt cool, breezy and comfortable. The afternoon brought a brief hail storm and then the clouds parted with a pleasant sunset.

19 miles and an uphill climb to the snow-bowl parking lot and cold beer -

The SanFransico Peaks are truely an Arizona GEM!

I do hope they get more precip in the mountains as it is needed...

AzP&Y

Doug

post-898-1184623768_thumb.jpg

post-898-1184623810_thumb.jpg

post-898-1184623823_thumb.jpg

post-898-1184623848_thumb.jpg

post-898-1184623874_thumb.jpg

post-898-1184623884_thumb.jpg

post-898-1184623994_thumb.jpg

P&YDoug,

Must have been a change from the Santa Ritas two weeks ago. Have you hiked Sycamore Canyon or the west fork of Oak Creek?

Doug~RR

Guest Ernesto C

Thanks Doug you are the man.........this is what life is about. Beatifull pictures and thanks for sharing them.

Ernesto C

Thanks guys- glad you are enjoying the pics- !!!!!

Scott- whew, what a break from the sweltering temps and heat advisory, again today...

YH - Glad that you caught that one about the dogs missing the leashes, I posted the picture and laughed, thinking... I wonder if anyone will notice ? :D They listen so well, especially the setter.

RR- No, in fact I want to try the Sycamore hike sometime. Even an overnight would be the way to go. My pack is down to 32 lbs and that includes a gallon and litre of h20. The peaks are a whole different world compared to Arizona's Sky Islands and the Santa Ritas ;)

Thanks Ernesto!

Here's another pic of the dogs as they both have crossed the 100 mile mark in the past year and never seem to tire...

AzP&Y

post-898-1184647383_thumb.jpg

post-898-1184647458_thumb.jpg

Love the dogs.... that Setter is a dandy! Great pics and story, thanks for sharing.

CnS

Sure looks like it was a great trip. Awesome pics, thanks for sharing with us, Doug.

Matt S.

Ahh yes. "My Mountain" is soo awesome isn't it! ;) Glad you could enjoy it! That is one heck of a hike you took! :blink:

Lance

Looks like a great time and some great views. Thank you for sharing your pictures with us!