Sign in to follow this  
Pac8541

New hunting sight

Most seasons are pretty much over with only a couple remaining in the coming months, at least for deer. I plan to hunt Jan muleys with my current rig but am in the process of ordering a new bow. Along with that comes the desire to upgrade my sight to one of the multi pin, sliding scale versions, or whatever you call them. My current is a SH Hoggit Hunter, almost 10 yrs old. Awesome sight, solid as hel! but I'd like to start shooting longer distance and the thought of a floating bottom pin for those extended ranges is appealing.

So, which sights should I be looking at? Stick with SH like the Hogg Father or consider CBE's lineup? What others are out there that are worth a look? I want it to be bombproof like the SH. I like the multi-pin design because I don't want to dial for every range I may have a shot at; I like the holdover principle like my rifle scopes. CBE is attractive because I like the scale within my plane of view and on the same side as my pins but those SH's are super rugged. On the other hand, I'm not opposed to losing a little weight. Tell me what you guys are using while pushing through thick manzanita and crawling over volcanic terrain.

I have nothing but great things to say about my Montana Black Gold sight. Mine is single pin but they offer it in many different pin setups. Plenty of adjustments including the 3rd axis, but simple enough to be tough in the field. I was on the fence for a SH or MBG sight this year and after setting it up and getting it dialed I would make the purchase again. I'm very happy with it.

If you go to their website or S&S you can custom build with the features you deem important.

• Like 3

Like some mentioned above ^^^ Black Gold Ascent is what I use and really like. I have the 3 pin model and its been a great sight for me! You can find some deals on used ones here in the classifieds and on archerytalk. I found mine here last year for like $70.

• Like 1

Jeff, I also like the Black Accent Gold sight. I have the 4 pin slider with 0.019 pins. The fiber optics lights it up really well but keeps it from getting too bright by having a feature the darkens over the fiber optics when the sun come out. I also preferred it over others because you can get the brackets/mounts out a little further from the riser which IMO help with accuracy.

Which bow have you decided on?

• Like 2

Hey Eric. Gonna do the Elite E35. The smooth draw sold me especially with my shoulders the way they are. Got another surgery coming up in April. I drew 113's 80 pounder this this morning (thanks Scott!) but the reasonable side of me says 70 is enough. Might play with arrow weights a little this spring.

Ya know, I did draw that one in both 31 and 34 flavors and I preferred the E35 over both. I haven't placed the order yet and intend to test shoot them all again but at the moment the Energy series gets the nod. I've never felt a 70lb bow draw with such ease and hold so effortlessly. This next shoulder operation is a partial joint replacement. With that in mind, the intellectual side says stick with that. The emotional side however, wants an Impulse or an 80 lb E35 like this mornings test. We'll see who wins...😜

And I've been leaning heavily towards another Spot-Hogg (I have the Hogg-It Hunter now), the Tommy Hogg specifically. But in looking at the features and options available on the MBG sights, I'm really impressed. I guess my only concern would be are the MBG sights as rugged and well built (precise) as what SH puts together. I find it hard to believe anything can be as bulletproof as a Spot Hogg.

I guess my only concern would be are the MBG sights as rugged and well built (precise) as what SH puts together. I find it hard to believe anything can be as bulletproof as a Spot Hogg.

Absolutely zero issues with mine and those shooting them in my circle. After picking the correct sight tape I was amazed at how accurate the adjustments were.

It sounds like you really want a Spot Hogg though ;)

If you like the Elites but want the speed try the impulse 34. Much faster than the energy 35 and still butter smooth

I hated the impulse compared to the E35.

E35 is awesome and hands down one of the greatest bows out there.

I guess my only concern would be are the MBG sights as rugged and well built (precise) as what SH puts together. I find it hard to believe anything can be as bulletproof as a Spot Hogg.

Absolutely zero issues with mine and those shooting them in my circle. After picking the correct sight tape I was amazed at how accurate the adjustments were.

It sounds like you really want a Spot Hogg though ;)

I'm trying to keep an open mind about either. While I'm partial to the SH, that's largely due to my familiarity with them. My plan is to look at both like, actually in my hands so I can feel the weight, how well each slider moves, the adjustments... I'll make a decision after that. I'm not in a huge hurry since the bow I have yet to order will likely take more than a few weeks to arrive. I don't want to be a "this is the best, there's nothing else out there," guy; I just want the best tool for the job. And extreme precision is part of my job description so I'm kinda keen on things like tolerances and exactness of adjustment. Anxious to see them side by side.