Sign in to follow this  
Physch

Water Purification

I agree only boil water in plastic in emergency/survival situation. I never microwave anything in plastic either. Plastic contains estradiol. Estrogen=female horomone and I don't want it.

That could make a hor---mone?

I've burned through a few water packs and filters. I gotta say I'd stick with Geiggerig and their in-line virus filter

I hadn't heard of the Geiggerig filters and hydration bladder, but just checked it out and they look great! Love the idea of pressurized and on demand filtered water.

do you have a prefilter you use for murky water with that system?

I use the Platypus Big Zip with the Sawyer big squeeze filter. I run a quick disconnect in my drink tube, then have a dirty water bladder with a connection that I plug into my drink tube with sawyer filter and push the dirty water thru the filter into the Big Zip in my pack. That way you can hang the dirty water with filter and let gravity run thru the filter and fill up other water containers at camp.

The Sawyer Mini, will be run this year as an inline filter in my drink tube. The dirty water will be poured into the bladder in my bag or take the bladder out and refill it with dirty water. Remember once you use the bladder as dirty water, don't drink from it without a filter/filtering it. I use the dromolite bags for extra water storage (dirty) so that way I can get water when i see it.

• Like 1

Ok not exactly level of purification and amount of gallons you all are talkin about but... Are the emergency filtration straws worth the $20-$40 to have in your pack? I mean id it's good enough for survivorman to drink out of bird and turtle poop water...

Lifestraw or sawyer water bottle are good and light options. Each filter has a gallon life span. Also the smaller the filter pores the better it is.

Sometimes people will use drops or tablets. I take tablets just incsse.

• Like 1