Sign in to follow this  
Physch

Water Purification

I've burned through a few water packs and filters. I gotta say I'd stick with Geiggerig and their in-line virus filter

How effective are the steri-pen purifiers? Anyone know about these products and/or have tried them?

How effective are the steri-pen purifiers? Anyone know about these products and/or have tried them?

I have the Adventurer, keep it in my pack and have used it one time. It seemed to do just fine as I never got sick. The water source was a steel cattle tank. I "purified" each batch twice as when you are swirling it around, I didn't want any untreated water from the rim or splashed water to mix in. I treated it, shook and swirled it, and treated again. Since it's electronic, I would suggest carrying tabs or some other method just in case. Way out in the desert is not the best place to be looking for batteries or spare parts.

Prior to buying the pen, I had to boil water in a 20 oz plastic coke bottle. Surprisingly easy to do but very slow when your'e cleaning water for 2 thirsty people.

• Like 1

Guest akaspecials

Prior to buying the pen, I had to boil water in a 20 oz plastic coke bottle. Surprisingly easy to do but very slow when your'e cleaning water for 2 thirsty people.

How do you boil in a plastic Coke bottle without melting it?

Friend next to me who runs a ranch just dips his hat in the tank and drinks. I've done this every time is go out with him for a "quick" job on the ranch haha!! Always ends up being an all day ordeal. Used to drink strait from the frisco and Dix creek. Not sure I'd do it now. I know you can get sick from water sources but also know the body will build a tolerance if you drink there often enough. If I go anywhere new to me I try to carry enough for a few days and boil what I find. If it's not new, I just drink.

It's actually very simple. I also won a bet because the guy with me said it was impossible to do. I used bailing wire around the neck of the bottle and suspend it above a good fire/bed of coals. (Above the fire and not directly in the flames) Bring it to a boil slowly and then just barley boil it. The key is you need to keep the bottle topped off. The water in the bottle keeps the plastic at 212ish and below it's melting point. You also want to watch the wire so it doesn't get too hot since it's not being cooled. It can get too hot and melt through the plastic. Then it plops into the fire.. And after looking at the pic, it looks like a water bottle and not a Coke bottle.

post-13896-0-76241000-1449812145_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Figured that those watching this thread and interested in filtering may want to take advantage of today's Amazon deal on Sawyer filter system at 40% off ... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FA2RLX2/ref=gbps_img_m-4_4302_95869a73?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2321164302&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=5550343011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1R7FA8RBKBQBEXKESQ8Y

• Like 3

It's actually very simple. I also won a bet because the guy with me said it was impossible to do. I used bailing wire around the neck of the bottle and suspend it above a good fire/bed of coals. (Above the fire and not directly in the flames) Bring it to a boil slowly and then just barley boil it. The key is you need to keep the bottle topped off. The water in the bottle keeps the plastic at 212ish and below it's melting point. You also want to watch the wire so it doesn't get too hot since it's not being cooled. It can get too hot and melt through the plastic. Then it plops into the fire.. And after looking at the pic, it looks like a water bottle and not a Coke bottle.

Maybe in an extreme survival situation ...( you can hard boil an egg in a paper cup too ) but I personally would not boil anything in plastic and contaminate the water with BPA or the Alternatives used in non BPA plastic that can be just as toxic... unless it was an extreme survival situation and my only option.

• Like 1

That's a big plant. The one I put up is a little one im starting up in NM. Its on hold while my new 300HP high pressure pump motor is getting new windings.

Is is 480 VAC or 4160?

I contracted Giardia once in Colorado. Never again will I drink untreated water. i carry alot of water in my daypack. Iodine, and small filter for emergency use.

• Like 1

The Amazon deal is sweet. Great price and an easy way to outfit the family. Getting sick on untreated water is great way if you need to lose weight, but dang does it suck. #purifiedwatermatters

• Like 1

A really cool set up if you can dip into your water like a creek or pool but for shallow seep it won't work well, use a 4 liter platapus bag for your dirty bag and use the sawyer mini inline gravity from that to a 2 or 3 lot r platapus. Works really well. Just dip the big dirty bag and hook it in a tree or rocks and let it feed the lower bag with the mini in between. Then refill the dirty bag and head for camp, now potentially you have 7 liters of water. Very cool but if your only on seeps its tuff to fill the dip or dirty bag

That's a big plant. The one I put up is a little one im starting up in NM. Its on hold while my new 300HP high pressure pump motor is getting new windings.

Is is 480 VAC or 4160?

480v 320amp

So hard not to drink from the creeks when they taste so good. I did end up learning my lesson on a rim creek i drank from all the time but eventually she got me.

I agree only boil water in plastic in emergency/survival situation. I never microwave anything in plastic either. Plastic contains estradiol. Estrogen=female horomone and I don't want it.