Sign in to follow this  
PelaPapas

Kuiu Ultra Merino or Peloton?

I'm looking into getting a hoodie from Kuiu. I'm stuck between the Ultra Merino 210 hoodie and the Peloton 200 zip-t hoodie. Out of the two, which one would be the warmest? I'm thinking the ultra merino because it's 210 over the 200 of the peloton? Am I looking at this right?

I was also considering the teton soft shell but those are all sold out and I really want a jacket with a hood. Any input is appreciated...

I have the pelotan you are talking about, as well as the teton zip T. I honestly like the teton better, but it is not wearing very well. If i had to do it again, i might go with the merino. I hope this really muddied up the water for you ;). The Teton softshell is my favorite article of Kuiu i own though, and i have quite a bit

• Like 1

I just got the peloton 240 full zip. It is really nice but a lot louder than I thought it would be. My next piece will be merino.

• Like 1

I have the pelotan you are talking about, as well as the teton zip T. I honestly like the teton better, but it is not wearing very well. If i had to do it again, i might go with the merino. I hope this really muddied up the water for you ;). The Teton softshell is my favorite article of Kuiu i own though, and i have quite a bit

I was considering the teton soft shell when the 30% off sale was going on. I ended up passing on it. Now they are out of stock. Whats the wear on it look like right now? Is it from washing? Is the Peloton hoodie worth the money and warm enough? I was really wanting something with a hood verses something without.

As for the teton zip-t, is that lined with fleece inside?

I just got the peloton 240 full zip. It is really nice but a lot louder than I thought it would be. My next piece will be merino.

I really like how the peloton hoodies look. Just wondering what would be warmer, the peloton or the merino? Usually I only wear my jackets on the hike out camp or ride out on the quad. After walking a little bit I seem to strip off the jacket because I start to sweat pretty fast. So not sure which route to go with kuiu's jackets...

I was considering the teton soft shell when the 30% off sale was going on. I ended up passing on it. Now they are out of stock. Whats the wear on it look like right now? Is it from washing? Is the Peloton hoodie worth the money and warm enough? I was really wanting something with a hood verses something without.

As for the teton zip-t, is that lined with fleece inside?

The Teton zip T is a bit heavier than the regular Teton long sleeve shirt. There is what seems to be a light fleece on the Zip T inside. I know personally, the zip-t is going to be too warm for me to wear in 60-70'degree weather. The regular T seems like it'll be what I wear most of the time unless it's pretty chilly. The soft shell jacket is really nice and seems to be about perfect for colder AZ mornings.

• Like 1

I prefer merino wool for base layers and mid-weight layer. I have several pieces from various manufactures...basically whatever I can find on sale or on camofire. I have 190 base layers from core 4 element, a mid-weight merino hoodie from First Lite, I think it's the Chama. Not sure what the fabric weight is. I really love it. The wool quality is softer than the C4E. I wear it over the base layer when it's cold. I think it works better over a wider temp range than synthetic, breaths well, and won't absorb BO. Then I wear the appropriate jacket over that. I can layer a fleece jacket over that or I have a couple Russell APXG2 jackets of different weights, depending on how cold it is. These hold up pretty well in catclaw. I recently got the Kuiu Kenai and the Super Down for colder options. The Kenai with a rain jacket worked great Saturday when it was cold and rainy all day. You will need an outer layer that will hold up to catclaw to protect the expensive Kuiu stuff.

• Like 1

I've got the Peloton 240 hoody. The thing is awesome. I literally wore it all day, every day during 9 days of the late archery hunt up in 22N. Everything from the junipers of the west end to the ridiculous manzanita north of Star Valley. It was warm, windproof, and I didn't wind up with any holes. It wasn't any noisier than something other than fleece going through the bushes but it also didn't catch on stuff either. Normal moving around didn't seem noisy either; it was a non-issue, practically speaking. I love the damned thing and plan to use it throughout the year. It does need a base layer to really be warm, and for that reason I plan to buy a 210 Merino at some point. But with a Patagonia puffy underneath it, I never needed anything else unless it rained and I had temps down to 18*. The windproofness of it alone allows it to outperform merino and it dries faster.

• Like 1