Sign in to follow this  
ctracingraptor

7MM Rem Mag, Powder & Die

So i'm still very new to reloading. I've had some very good success on reloading my AR-15 & AR-10, in .223 and .308. I'm ready to start reloading my 7mm Sendero, and i've seem to have hit a wall like everyone else. I'm been using Varget and BLC-2 and now i need to switch to a magnum powder and its seems to be like finding a unicorn. After a ton of research on here and other websites, it seems to be the mostly popular powders are RL-22, H1000 & Retumbo. Any opinions on which if those would be best, or should i just start with whichever powder i can get my hands on?
Second question, i have the regular dies for my other guns for reloading, I dont know if i should invest in higher end dies for my 7mm. I've heard great reviews about the Redding Competition Dies set but for $230 is it really worth is? Should i consider buying only the Redding Competition seating dies for $100. I guess my question is, is it really worth spending the extra money for the competition grade stuff? Do i really need to spend the extra money for the Competition Neck Sizer? There is a die set on Midway that has peaked my interest but im not sure? I do like the options for the adjustable mircometers on the comp dies, but i just really never had a need for it on my other reloading dies. Thank you in advance.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/648131/redding-premium-series-2-die-set-7mm-remington-magnum

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/153297/redding-master-hunter-2-die-set-7mm-remington-magnum

I think it depends on what you are trying to achieve. You will get varied answers on this. For me, I am not into splitting the hairs on a nats butt with my bullet, so I use standard RCBS die sets and have achieved MOA or better accuracy in every rifle I have loaded for. There is a lot of things you can do to improve your reloading and make it perfect. Grab yourself a comparator set by hornady to ensure your seating depths are uniform and regular dies will work. IF you choose to get very precise, those competition dies look pretty nice.

Any standard die from RCBS, Redding, Hornady, Forster, Lee etc will serve you right if you get them adjusted correctly and have your press mounted securely with no flex in bench.

I prefer H1000 in my 7mm mag but you might have better luck drawing a sheep tag than finding it.

R25, Retumbo, 7828 are good options. I'm assuming your sendero has a 28" barrel? Slow burning powders with heavy for caliber bullets should work well.

Sendero has 26" barrel. R22 works great and is easily found. Also ramshot magnum, 4831, 4350 are worth a shot for powders that are more readily available. Spottsmans carries most of those one a daily basis

yeah my sendero has 26" barrel, and its 9 1/4th twist. not sure what weight bullet yet. But yeah i naturally want it to be the most accurate it can be, but if the best accuracy can be found in the dies that 3 times more than others, i would consider that option. I already have the bullet comparator from Hornady.

If I were in your position I would ladder test a 162g hornaday sst with h1000.

+1

I have one factory sendero and one built with 1:8. The factory like nosler brass 69 Gn h1000 and 162 sst

i dont know how you guys do it, but my shoulder does not like ladder testing, i really needs a muzzle break lol

If your ever up east of payson give me a shout, we can work up some loads and go out and test

Every 7MM RM I have worked up loads for like RL22 & a 168 HVLD. Plenty of medicine for deer & elk both.

Standard dies are fine. If you plan on tinkering a lot, the competition seating dies is just easier to alter seating depths precisely.

Good Brass prep is key to accuracy in my opinion. So is shooting form. Most any factory rifle is capable of MOA or better nowadays. Most shooters are not. It usually takes a while to wring the very best possible accuracy with load development with fine tuning. The Sendero should print 1/2 MOA or better with careful workup and proper shooting techniques.

Here are a few essentials:

A great scale

Brass prep tools (trimmer, chamfer, deburring, primer pocket, flash hole tools)

Accurate digital caliper

High quality components (I like match primers and match bullets personally)

my brother and i use standard rcbs dies for our senderos. they shoot really good groups. we have vais brakes . good bullets and good barrels are more important than comp dies. several of our senderos have krieger barrels. you do not say what you are shooting at. 140 berger is going to be faster and flatter that a 168 and kick less.

Here are a few essentials:

A great scale

Brass prep tools (trimmer, chamfer, deburring, primer pocket, flash hole tools)

Accurate digital caliper

High quality components (I like match primers and match bullets personally)

Using a Dillion 550b, have all the basic tools, and the more advanced stuff, i didnt skimp on my products.

I do love to target shoot at 1000 yards, im not comfortable yet at that distance. Very happy though at 700 yards with higher end factory ammo. My rifle is mostly used for deer and elk when i get drawn.

Where you from raptor? I have over a pound of rl22 you can have for $20 if around the verde valley

I live in north phoenix, i dont frequent verde valley very often. Im afraid i would find rl22 local before i end up in your neck of the woods. But i will keep you in mind if i do end up going that direction. How many minutes off the I-17 are you?