I went out today and endured the howling wind. I missed a lot of shots and Yes I'm going to blame it on the wind๐Ÿ˜‰ This was my first real attempt to try and go after a slam. Today was probably not a great day to do it but I thought I will give it a shot. I got my Scalie first, within a hour and a half of hunting. Then I went a little higher and came across 4 coveys of Mearns. I could not hit the broadside of a barn with those Mearns. I missed so many shots and I'm sure my Britt was thinking "What is up with you today?" After 4 1/2 hours of hunting Mearns I finally got one. We only had about an hour and half of light left. I dropped down into Gambels country and stopped by every stock tank I could find in that short time and blew into the quail call. I didn't a response or I couldn't hear it because of the wind so I just went to the next tank. I did this several times with no luck. So I ended up just walking around a stock tank hoping to see a covey Gambels but no luck this time. I will be back at it again next week. I will go for the Gambels first!๐Ÿ˜

post-2799-0-26954100-1451191721_thumb.jpeg

post-2799-0-21796000-1451191761_thumb.jpegpost-2799-0-80984600-1451191809_thumb.jpeg

Sorry, posted pictures with my iPhone and the orientation is wrong.

• Like 3

Can't wait until next week when we put the smack down on a slam

Yes! I'm looking forward to it. I just hope the wind is not howling like it was today. Although it didn't seem to bother Ellie. She pointed those Mearns perfectly

What is funny is we hunt almost the same area and I worry we won't find mearns and you worry we will not find gambles so together we should be able to pull a slam. And I am sure your dog will do her part we just do ours.

• Like 1

post-5984-0-28414900-1451195479_thumb.jpg

Found this when deer hunting count the birds in the tree and there was more in the grass

• Like 1

attachicon.gif20151206_085525.jpg

Found this when deer hunting count the birds in the tree and there was more in the grass

Wow! I wish I could have found that today. I think we have a real good chance next week but it's a lot harder than I thought it would be. I have many times gotten two different quail species the same day but that wasn't on purpose. It seems like when I actually tried to get all 3 the same day it was hard to do. Hopefully I shoot better too, that will speed things up a bit!

Well I hope mine and your spots pay off as well or we will both look silly. One deer season if I had a shotgun I could have got all three within a few miles where you down this way today

• Like 1

Looks like fun Josh. I couldn't do the wind today, stayed home and watched movies with the boys.

• Like 1

Great looking dog.

My hats off to you (no pun) for braving that wind.

• Like 1

Well I hope mine and your spots pay off as well or we will both look silly. One deer season if I had a shotgun I could have got all three within a few miles where you down this way today

I didn't go out by you yesterday. I stayed closer to home. We should be able to do it out by you. Last month when I was out your way I saw Mearns and Scalies in the same area. The Mearns were really low in open grassland. I don't have a good Gambels spot out by you, so I'm thinking that's going to be the tough one. Here is how I did on the Scalies out by you last month.post-2799-0-56727500-1451228795_thumb.jpeg

Good job Josh! I'll see you at church today!

• Like 1

Good job bud. That wind was crazy yesterday. I was driving back from las cruces and was wondering how you did. I've seen you shoot, It was more than likely the wind. Good luck next weekend...and the weekend after that!

• Like 1

Good job bud. That wind was crazy yesterday. I was driving back from las cruces and was wondering how you did. I've seen you shoot, It was more than likely the wind. Good luck next weekend...and the weekend after that!

Ha ha thanks!