bigorange

How many points to report to AZGFD?

What we call them (3x3, 4x4, 8-pt, whatever) has been beaten to death, so I'm not resurrecting that topic...but wondering how folks report brow tines on the AZGFD hunt survey. I'd assume even though it's usually called a 3x3 out west (I've even gotten used to that...I guess I've become westernized), you'd report as 4 points per side if has brow tines. Muley I killed yesterday I'd call a 3x4 but has a decent brow tine on the 4 side...so I'm thinking I report it as 3x5.

Also not resurrecting the topic of whether to honestly report or not...I've always honestly reported and will continue to do so hoping to contribute to better statistics in the hunt reports. This just hasn't come up for me in the past with brow tines...

In our family the brow tines are never included in the count for Coues or Mulies.

That is the way I report it to AZGFD.

• Like 2

If you were scoring one would you also not count them? I didn't think about that until after I posted, but I guess the reporting logic should be the same as the scoring logic...but I know things aren't always logical. :ph34r:

pics of 3x4?

On the muley thread but I need to add story and more pics...sorry this compooter won't copy/paste for some reason so can't add the link. here's a pic.

post-5622-0-21405900-1451890001_thumb.jpeg
  • Like 1

Amanda may be the one to ask here but I was also told.

Coues you include brow tines.

Muley's you do NOT include brown tines.

Heaven knows I've been wrong before. I am sure when you call them you can ask and they'll tell you what they're looking for

When I check mules into the Kaibab check station, they do NOT count eye guards. So my 4x5 plus eye guards were listed as a 4x5, not a 5x6.

When I check mules into the Kaibab check station, they do NOT count eye guards. So my 4x5 plus eye guards were listed as a 4x5, not a 5x6.

This makes the most sense, and not sure why I didn't think about that except my Kaibab buck didn't have eye guards so didn't occur to me. Unless of course it depends on the opinion/habit of whoever is working the check station that day... :wacko:

When scoring your buck using B & C sheet. They refer to the eye guard as "Point #1"

Just sayin...

Yep...I was thinking if it's scoreable, then report it to AZGFD...but sounds like AZGFD doesn't count it at their checking station. Guess I've got a while to think about it before the 2016 OTC deer survey comes out...

You dont count the eye guards on either species out west when referring to it as a 3 point or 4 point. Yes they are included in score sheet on a coues, but if you tell a westerner you shot a 4 point coues they are gonna look at you like you are a retard when you show them pics of a 3 point with eye guards. I am an Az native, please quit trying to change it and bring eastern practices to the west. If you shoot a 3 point coues with eye guards, report it to game and fish as a 3 point since that what it is

• Like 2

You dont count the eye guards on either species out west when referring to it as a 3 point or 4 point. Yes they are included in score sheet on a coues, but if you tell a westerner you shot a 4 point coues they are gonna look at you like you are a retard when you show them pics of a 3 point with eye guards. I am an Az native, please quit trying to change it and bring eastern practices to the west. If you shoot a 3 point coues with eye guards, report it to game and fish as a 3 point since that what it is

Not trying to change anything...just asked what I thought was a straightforward question.

I count all the points, including eyeguards. I was born and raised in the west, so it is not really an East vs. West thing as posts above would make you think.

Here is the definitive answer straight from B&C scoring instructions:

http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords/bc_scoring_typmuledeer.asp?area=bgRecords&type=Typical+Mule+Deer+%26+Blacktail

A: NUMBER OF POINTS ON EACH ANTLER To be counted a point, the projection must be at least one inch long, with the length exceeding width at one inch or more of length. All points measured from tip of point to nearest edge of beam as illustrated in Figure A. Beam tip is counted as a point, but not measured as a point.

Per this definition you count all the points and eyeguards for the total. The beam tip is accounted for in the main beam measurement, which is why it is "not measured as a point".

Your mule deer is a 3x5 by this definition. I think this should be the standard way for reporting.