crazy4COUES

Auction Elk Tag filled ???

Here is a screen shot of the excel file. The grand total at the bottom includes all year (1984-2007). The program was originally started in 1984.

post-181-1186002653_thumb.jpg

2007 Results

Here are the 2007 results for the raffle. It raised a lot of money for each species and $130,000 specifically for elk.

http://www.arizonabiggamesuperraffle.com/results.html

A total of 37,144 raffle tickets were purchased, raising $557,320 for wildlife. The breakdown by species is listed below:

Species

Tickets Sold

Funds Raised

Antelope

Bear

Buffalo

Coues Deer

Desert Bighorn Sheep

Elk

Turkey

Javelina

Mule Deer

Total

$557,320

After a quick search I could only find that the AES made about $350,000 for elk conservation at their banquet but couldn't find exactly how much of it was from the auction tag...but I'm pretty sure that it was at least half of that grand total. And remember that the RMEF has one too.

Both are great deals for Arizona Elk.

I like what Missedagain said.Is this money from the auction tag really worth the bad taste in most hunters mouths.If you did a survey from every person that applys for big game,I would guess that most people are against them.A lot of the people that are on these sites are either guides or involved in the special projects.And as far as all hunters need to stick together.I think that is a grand idea,except my opinion is this type of hunting is the downfall of our future .

we're really getting off topic, but i really want to know how things really break down. i see some numbers for the raffle for '07, but don't see anything for the auction. they're 2 different things. did i miss it? i can't get the excel file to magnify enough to read it. i want to compare '07 auction $ to what was raised just by the non-refundable application fee that comes from every application. i want to show how much average joes, us, donate, just by that process, compared to what these guys with heavy wallets pony up? how often do you get an elk or pronghorn or bighorn permit now? by my poor math, about 5% of the total bighorn permits go to auction and raffle tags. that's a fair number. and by all accounts, the desert sheep are having a real rough time right now. the auction total has a fair amount of digits in it, but it is still pretty small compared to the azgfd overall budget and again, if money fixed things we'd be run over by game and would have to shoot deer outta the yard on a daily basis. what i'm trying to get folks to think about is what is being done with the money and is it doing any good? about the only thing that seems to be doing very well in Az. right now looks to be coues deer and predators. muleys, desert bighorns, turkeys, pronghorn, are all having a rough time and it ain't all because of the drought. there has been some real crummy management involved in a lot of it. the elk cow/bull ratio looks to me to be real wierd right now. and from what i've seen, the elk herd in general doesn't seem to be real shiny. nothing like it was even 5 years ago. and the big explosion in the elk herd had a direct effect on the deer herd, mainly muleys, in the area where there are a lot of elk. so now they both seem to be struggling. i know that auction money isn't just dumped into the azgfd'd general or capital fund for the year, but i do know that the auction money frees up funds for other things that may or not be tied to conservation. like i said, i'm about 50/50 on whether or not gauranteed rich guys tags, which is what the auction tags are, do as much as some folks would have us believe. and i'm sorta thinking that this particular auction tag we're talking about is going to cause us all a lot of problems because a few folks maybe didn't do a real good job. how much is it going to cost the azgfd to litigate this? if they push it very far it will be substantial. i bought a powerball ticket today. if i win it, i will be at the auction and i will come away with some tags. and i wouldn't do it because i think the money is going to do a bunch of good. i'd do it because i could and i like to hunt. there's a lot to think about here other than $'s. the biggest problem we have is a top heavy game department that looks more at the bottom line than they do at herd health. does more money help that? it sure doesn't appear to me to help much. but i ain't totally convinced that auciton tags are all bad. but i'm having a harder time, all the time, even staying balanced on the fence. maybe i just think too deep for some folks. Lark.

I think Raffle Tags are better than Auction tags because the average joe can buy a raffle or two... Sure a super rich guy could be tons of tickets and increase there odds but at least I have a fighting chance... In NM, we have very limited auction or raffle tags and I think we could benefit from the money that would be raised...

My only issue is that I think they should be forced to hunt within the general hunting seasons. I would hate to be on an archery season hunt and having some guys firing a canon..

About this issue, the only thing he MIGHT have done wrong is shot to close to a dwelling which would be breaking the law regardless of how he got the tag....

Just to feed a little more gas on the fire.Now the Nevada auction elk tag was filled,and there is this huge heated debate on how one guide screwed another.So all of you auction lovers can explain to me how this helps hunting.If these animals were shot on a regular hunt ,we would never be having these issues to debate .It is all about the money

Moove on! This thread is old and stinky! :( :unsure:

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE DVD - CABIN BULLS -SHOOT EM' FROM THE BACKPORCH.... :huh:

AZP&Y

If you are still having a hard time finding the numbers then go to this new internet site... www.google.com Type in exactly what you are looking for....it works wonders ;) But I'll give you the Cliff Notes....Raffle tags bring in a lot of money and the auction tags bring in even more.

Also if it bothers you that somebody can afford multiple auction tags and you can't, well find out what he does for a living and do that too!

I think Raffle Tags are better than Auction tags because the average joe can buy a raffle or two... Sure a super rich guy could be tons of tickets and increase there odds but at least I have a fighting chance... In NM, we have very limited auction or raffle tags and I think we could benefit from the money that would be raised...

My only issue is that I think they should be forced to hunt within the general hunting seasons. I would hate to be on an archery season hunt and having some guys firing a canon..

About this issue, the only thing he MIGHT have done wrong is shot to close to a dwelling which would be breaking the law regardless of how he got the tag....

I have had the opportunity to help a Raffle tag hunter and we made sure to be respectful to any archery tag holders we ran into while they were scouting, and we also made it a point not to hunt during the archery hunt. I beleive it is an unwritten law to avoid the archery season with an Auction or Raffle tag hunter that is using a rifle.

Auction and Raffle tags are GREAT for wildlife and the habitat they live in ........The negative publicity and rumors flying around about this particular hunt are BAD. Hopefully this situation disappears quickly before too many "non-hunters" hear about this ......... this could definitely give a boost to the "Anti's" recruitment list ....... I'm sure a few have already been added <_<

This whole thing proves one thing, that money is inversely proportional to brains!

Mark

I am sorry, but this thread has gotten Way off the topic. And those who don't have the cash flow to buy an auction tag are way off base in blaiming, hating, or whinning about a program that, as a whole, is Very good for the wildlife in this state. I will never, unless I win Lotto, have the money to buy an auction tag.... but I envy and RESPECT those that do, enough to say, " Thanks for spending your money on the wildlife of our Great state and may you harvest a fine Trophy with your special permit." Lets grow up and focus on the realities, not our petty "issues" that we dig up on threads like this. The same issues that everyone is raising heck about on these auction hunts happens in the general hunts, too. It is only because of the "high profile tags" that everyone has their panties in a bunch..... :rolleyes: .... get over it.... It is old and stale.

I am sorry, but this thread has gotten Way off the topic. And those who don't have the cash flow to buy an auction tag are way off base in blaiming, hating, or whinning about a program that, as a whole, is Very good for the wildlife in this state. I will never, unless I win Lotto, have the money to buy an auction tag.... but I envy and RESPECT those that do, enough to say, " Thanks for spending your money on the wildlife of our Great state and may you harvest the a fine Trophy with your special permit." Lets grow up and focus on the realities, not our petty "issues" that we dig up on threads like this. The same issues that everyone is raising heck about on these auction hunts happens in the general hunts, too. It is only because of the "high profile tags" that everyone has their panties in a bunch..... :rolleyes: .... get over it.... It is old and stale.

I disagree, this thread is about the auction tag holder so how is most of this off topic.

This is a discussion forum so what is wrong with a little discussion.

This auction tag "program" might be good for wildlife but I would argue that it is not good for hunting.

If the general story about this hunt is true and you still envy and respect this hunter then I am sorry for you