Sign in to follow this  
naturebob

Still rutting!

Well I got my first chance to out to one of my fav. spots in 21 since I moved back from Dakoota. Was only glassing about 2+ hours ,saw 2 does and 3 bucks. A spike, a medium sized buck and a pretty good buck. The good buck had head down and following that doe like my beagle on a rabbit. Was fun to see and nice to be back in the desert. Saw no muleys............BOB!

• Like 1

I went on spur of the moment. Didn't know i was going. IL'L give you a hoot the next time............BOB!

I've seen the opposite. Been out the last two mornings. Saw a total of 25 deer today. 5 bucks. No rutting at all. 4 bucks were hanging out together. Yesterday saw a total of 13 or 15 deer. Only 1 buck. He was one of 11 deer on the same little hillside. Minding his own business feeding for 2 hours. Never even sniffed or approached any of the does.

• Like 1

Went out Sunday morning and saw a lot of does by themselves. Maybe 5 or 6 groups totaling about 20 deer not a buck found anywhere near these ladies. Did see a 3x3 with his nose to the ground searching and 2 small bucks bugging some does.

A friend of mine won the raffle tag a couple of years ago. he hunted every month of the year, I specifically asked him which month was the best. His response surprised me a bit, he said February. Bucks were looking for Does.

^^^^. You always here about javelina hunters seeing big bucks on does. Generally speaking the does that don't get bred come back into cycle and can be a great time to catch a giant out after the last does to breed. A little hit or miss though depending on the rut that year. Some years are drawn out rutting activity while others are short and sweet. I haven't paid much attention as to which ones produce more February rutting vs the other but it's definitely proven that bucks can and will be chasing hot does through February. Just not as predictable IMO.