Sign in to follow this  
naturebob

Pedastal mounts?

I want to mount my elk from this year on a pedastal. Can I get several hundred of You guys to post pics of Yours to give Me some ideas. Thanks in advance. Not asking to much ,am I? Just kidding on the quantity but that would be fine.............BOB!

Another question,does a taxi order the bases from some big company or have them made. Or anybody out there make em that I can buy and give to Taxi?................BOB!

Oh come on IKE you can't tease us like that let's see the rest of the room.

PS. do I see a fox in a head mount on a picture frame?

PSS Also my favorite game animal name, that looks like a full body mount of a "DIK DIK"

• Like 2

Lol...Wish I could take credit for all that 6A, but that's part of my Taxi's show room...

Bob, mine made the base...

• Like 1

I'd like to find or have made a wider or broader base than normal that I could finish the landscaping part myself . Having been a lanscape designer for 24 years and in the buss. for 34 I think I could come up with something pretty good. Not nothin against the Taxi's , i just know what I am capable of creating without taking away from the animal.Thanks for Your response IKE.................BOB!

You could have it pedestal mounted and do the whole base yourself. That's what i'm going to do on my next one.

• Like 1

Here is mine that I got back a few months ago...

Taxi has a woodworker that makes all his bases.

PM me for more info.

post-67-0-07244800-1454378799_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Depends on the taxidermist Bob. I have a woodworker that makes my (wood) bases for me. You can order the pedestals (wood cabinet) from some of the big taxidermist supply companies. The habitat portions tend to be more custom although the longer time goes by the more pre-fab portions of that you can get.

The biggest problem we as taxidermists run into is a guy bringing in a pre made base to add a mount to. They usually lack the proper support or the base not made for correct access etc. making a base for an already mounted animal also has it challenges although generally speaking a good taxidermist can make a pre-threaded rod or whatever type of adapter to make that easier. Usually expectations/measurements/and anything else tends to make for the most challenging parts of mixing and matching a mounted animal to a pre made base. Not sure if that makes sense. The littlest things like the angle of the flat portion of the brisket not matching the base makes for problems. Just some things to think about that generally a taxidermist has in mind when mounting and prefab Bing bases to match the mount.

• Like 3

Here are some examples of pedestals in my man-cave. Sorry for the sideways on the elk. Not sure why it came out that way.

post-19-0-65660900-1454380016_thumb.jpeg

post-19-0-38405600-1454380293_thumb.jpeg

post-19-0-92336700-1454380440_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Becker ,Your post makes alotta sense. I allways wondered how they balance them cause I have a wall mount Elk and I know how heavy it is.I still have time. My hide is at tannery I was told last week.Thanks and keep the photos coming..........BOB

I didn't think You would shoot one that small Larry. Just kidding ,Nice bull who ever it belongs to. I like the log in the back. Nice wide base too. The only thing I don't like on peds is how you see the back sometimes. I like how its hidden with the log some what...................BOB!