Sign in to follow this  
sherman

Bird dog help please

Cool. Contact me with any questions you may have. If I can't answer them for you I can point you in the right direction.

Cool. Contact me with any questions you may have. If I can't answer them for you I can point you in the right direction.

Collars do i need a shock collar or just a tracking collar or one that does both? What is a good brand.

It all depends on how you want to train your dog. They are e collars not shock collars.

I was told not to get one that does both but I think that was because its not allowed in dog trials. Garmin is the way to go. The best one is probably the Garmin tritronics 550 but it's not cheap. The Garmin sport pro would be a good e collar to get and when you are ready for a gps collar get the Garmin Astro.

By the way,if you think the price of the dog itself is expensive just wait till you start buying training supplies and other crap for the dog.

If you use the e collar the correct way they work great. That being said I only use the Astro 320 with the T5 tracking collar for Ellie. You don't need an e collar to train a dog but knowing where they are at takes a lot of worry out while in the field.

• Like 2

I got to quit reading this thread or I may end up with a dog. Been a very long time since I had a gun dog in my life. Probably my fondest memory of having a gun dog is their reaction to movement. i.e, moving camping gear, firearms, shell vests, etc around the house. You basically cannot touch any of said gear without the dog going ape. Leaving the dog to go on a hunt that does not require a dog is a real heartbreaker. You literally have to sneak out of the house, all the while feeling guilty doing it.

• Like 7

I got to quit reading this thread or I may end up with a dog. Been a very long time since I had a gun dog in my life. Probably my fondest memory of having a gun dog is their reaction to movement. i.e, moving camping gear, firearms, shell vests, etc around the house. You basically cannot touch any of said gear without the dog going ape. Leaving the dog to go on a hunt that does not require a dog is a real heartbreaker. You literally have to sneak out of the house, all the while feeling guilty doing it.

Im already warming my wife up for a german shorthair... ;)

• Like 2

If you use the e collar the correct way they work great. That being said I only use the Astro 320 with the T5 tracking collar for Ellie. You don't need an e collar to train a dog but knowing where they are at takes a lot of worry out while in the field.

The GPS does really let you not worry so much about where your dog is running to. Just look on the screen when you are unsure.

Well after days of talking about this with my wife this is the out come in 1 1/2 years our youngest starts school and i have the go ahead to get a Brit this might sound crappy to some but to me it is the most logical it will give me the time i need to #1 spend with a puppy #2 learn more about handling a bird dog #3 figure out what collars will be needed #4 find a good breeder and most importantly spend more time with my little guy. Maybe next season i can find a mentor to take me along and show me the in's and out's and point (pun intended) me in the right area for collars and what not. BTW if the deal of a lifetime comes up might have to wash the bosses car and get an advance on the time line

so long story short, your wife put the kibosh on it.