brademan76

I DREW A TAG!!

Alaska results came out today. I drew a tag for the first rifle season Oct 1-15 for those big 'ol Roosevelt elk!!

I've been eyeing the hunt for a few years and finally got a crew together that was as excited to do it as I was. Applied as two 2-man parties. The other party didn't draw the elk tag, but they'll each get a bear tag that they can use to harvest a bear or a blacktail. Only 1 other non-resident was drawn out of the 50 tags, he is from Oregon. The other 47 tag holders are local so they'll definitely have the upper-hand.

Anyone ever hunt elk in Alaska before or have any run-ins with them when hunting other species?

• Like 5

Southeast Alaska, there's a boundary polygon but it pretty much etolin island.

One of the neatest things I saw in that area while taking the passage to and from the Bering, was the Roosevelt's out on the beaches. They'd go on the beach low tide and eat kelp and salt.

Good luck, buddy

• Like 2

Alaska results came out today. I drew a tag for the first rifle season Oct 1-15 for those big 'ol Roosevelt elk!!

I've been eyeing the hunt for a few years and finally got a crew together that was as excited to do it as I was. Applied as two 2-man parties. The other party didn't draw the elk tag, but they'll each get a bear tag that they can use to harvest a bear or a blacktail. Only 1 other non-resident was drawn out of the 50 tags, he is from Oregon. The other 47 tag holders are local so they'll definitely have the upper-hand.

Anyone ever hunt elk in Alaska before or have any run-ins with them when hunting other species?

I've hunted Etolin twice for elk.

Not trying to inhibit your excitement but it's a pretty miserable hunt. Ungodly thick brush, very steep. Lots of Devils club and slime everywhere. If you caught up a ridge where there's blow downs, they're stacked on top of one another like Lincoln logs. You'll climb over a set, be trapped and have to throw your back pack over the heap and crawl under the pile through a 2' gap. You might do that for a quarter mile and can take hours. You're feet will come out from under you faster than you can put a hand out. You'll take a step on what seems like normal ground and your leg disappears up to your nuts. Did I mention it was steep? If that's not enough, it rains constantly. Heavy thick rain that can last for days. Everything will get wet and stay wet. Even on a sunny day, standing on the very top of the mountain, you're feet will be soaked after standing in one spot for a minute. They sink a few inches and water pools up. Trying to start and keep a fire going is exhausting.

If you want some good information, call ADF&G's office in either Ketchikan or it might be Wrangell. Ask for Rich Lowell. (907) 772-3801 he has a very good pulse on the herds there and will mail you a packet with some information and stats. He will talk the hunt up quite a bit. They spent a lot of time and money transplanting those elk and it took several tries before enough survived to get a foot hold. He really wants it to be a success.

Popular areas to hunt are Trout Creek, Mount Shakes, Mount Etolin and McHenry Creek. They typically don't hang out near the beach until the late season or later but sometimes you get lucky. A boat is the best method to try and catch them on the beach.

You'll either hike in from the salt water. Dropped off by boat or float plane. I recommend getting dropped off AND picked up in a Beaver. There are a few lakes you can get dropped in too. Sometimes you have to wait a few days in Ketchikan or Wrangell for the weather to break before you can fly. Sometimes the fog allows them to land on salt water but not the lakes. Even if you want to be on a lake, you'll get dropped at the bottom. Lake 1314 is a good drop point for Shakes or Mt. Etolin.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to get into good shape. This hunt demands that you be in the best possible physical condition. More importantly you'll need to be in good mental condition too. Determination is what will make or break the hunt.

You'll probably have your best chance of success up high. Be the first ones there. Once shots are fired, they'll disappear into the abyss of brush never to be seen again.

Rosies as a whole are not as vocal as RM elk which makes them harder to locate once they're in the heavy cover.

All in all, if you enjoy being cold, wet, sore, tired, hungry and constantly in survival mode, you'll enjoy the hunt. Granted, if you hunt down low near a base camp, it won't be as miserable since you can stay in a bigger tent with more creature comforts but your odds off success will be much smaller on a hunt where success is already very low. Back packing in up high has the best chance for success. If there were ever a he!! on earth, Etolin Island has it beat.

I wish you well and wish you success. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Don't forget the sat phone...

M

• Like 2

Sounds awesome, but expensive. Do you have an idea of what the hunt will cost when all said and done? Are you hiring a guide or is this a DIY hunt?

308Nut, I've read your post verbatim on another forum did you just copy and paste that over? I specifically remember reading about stepping into a hole up to your nuts and the he'll on earth line.

My research told me the challenge that this hunt would be. I'm looking forward to it very much.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/long-range-elk-hunt-coming-up-fast-soon-24328/

There it is. I remember reading your thread long before I ever thought about applying. Never saw any posts about how you ended up doing after you went back the second time with your rifle. How'd it turn out?

Sounds awesome, but expensive. Do you have an idea of what the hunt will cost when all said and done? Are you hiring a guide or is this a DIY hunt?

DIY. I'll be with a friend who I party drew with and potentially two others. Plane ticket to ketchikan is 500 ish, tag is 300, air taxi will be another 800ish per person after multiple flights. Otherwise just food and gear on top of that... Oh and shipping back meat/trophy if successful :)

308Nut, I've read your post verbatim on another forum did you just copy and paste that over? I specifically remember reading about stepping into a hole up to your nuts and the he'll on earth line.

My research told me the challenge that this hunt would be. I'm looking forward to it very much.

I am the author of that story.

I am Michael Eichele on LRH.com

• Like 1

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/long-range-elk-hunt-coming-up-fast-soon-24328/

There it is. I remember reading your thread long before I ever thought about applying. Never saw any posts about how you ended up doing after you went back the second time with your rifle. How'd it turn out?

Turned out about the same as the first. Only the return trip was forced to start out on the salt water.

I drew the October 1st tag in 2013 but burned it for other hunting opportunities I drew tags for.

Not too bad for such a cool hunt. "Nut" up, and get a good pair of boots too. Good luck. Let us know how you do.

• Like 1

Turned out about the same as the first. Only the return trip was forced to start out on the salt water.

I drew the October 1st tag in 2013 but burned it for other hunting opportunities I drew tags for.

Dang, no opportunities, or what? How many days were you after it with the rifle? That was the second rifle hunt, correct? How was the weather?

Thanks for the information and I really appreciate you offering it up. I'm sure I'll message you once I really get into the planning!!